Digital Caliper to Height Gauge

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baron:

I love what you did to that poor calliper. It looks like you put a lot of skull sweat into that masterpiece. Could you show or at least describe the clamping bolt you are using for the jaw, give us a little more detail?

Don

Hi Don,
Thanks for the compliments. :cool::cool:

The one thing I didn't think to take pictures of. :wall::wall:
I do have more pictures if you want to see them though.

The clamping arrangement for the jaw consists of a short length of 6 mm silver steel slotted with a 3 mm thick slitting saw.

I threaded the end to take a nut that I had handy. M6X1 If I remember. I then put the rod into hole drilled into a piece of scrap about an inch long, slit down its length with a hacksaw. Then I clamped it in the mill vice and slit it length wise, long enough to hold the cut off piece of the calliper jaw. Unfortunately it needed a spacer, the short bit of 3 mm rod , to ensure that the jaw would contact the floor that the gauge was stood on. The bottom end was filed so that it sat slightly below the edge of the lower jaw.

The original calliper was purchased from Aldi in Deauville in the Dordogne department of France a few years ago, whilst I was there on holiday for a mere 8.95 Euro. Which is why it only reads mm.

The base is made from an off cut of cast iron bar about 3" in diameter with a slot cut into it just big enough to push fit the end of the calliper into it. I cut a chunk out so I could drill an tap for a pair of 2Ba hex socket grub screws.

The calliper was modified by cutting off the inside measuring jaws and the fixed outside jaw, as can be seen one of them was used to make a scriber.
The depth measurement rod was also removed. Actually it was so brittle that it simply broke off at the point where it was fastened.

The first picture in the last post shows a working hight gauge. Subsequent pictures show further modifications made in order to be able to accurately set a specific hight. Since I found that in use it was quite easy to lower the measuring head onto the work but very finicky to set a hight.

A last note, its important that the calliper column is exactly vertical in both directions.

Adjustment_Arm-01.jpg

Adjustment_Arm-02.jpg

Adjustment_Arm-03.jpg

Adjustment_Arm-04.jpg

Adjustment_Arm-05.jpg

Alloy_stock-03.jpg

Assembly-03.jpg

Bridge-02.jpg

Bridge-03.jpg

Bronze_bearing-02.JPG

Slitting-02.jpg

Thumbscrew-01.jpg