De Industrie 2VD5

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent work! I found this post after seeing a video about this engine in a tug-boat. If anyone wants to hear the hypnotising sound of the original, I'd recommend a watch (the dialogue is in Dutch, but that doesn't really matter - there are subtitles, anyway).

I am delighted that somebody is making a model of it.

Excellent work! I found this post after seeing a video about this engine in a tug-boat. If anyone wants to hear the hypnotising sound of the original, I'd recommend a watch (the dialogue is in Dutch, but that doesn't really matter - there are subtitles, anyway).

I am delighted that somebody is making a model of it.

Hi,

There are various boots in/around the Netherlands that still run this engine.

One of them I use as a source for the measurements and photo's that I use during the build.

Regards,

Xander

Bronze valve body and brazed stainless steel valve. Air tight straight after machining on the lathe. No lapping with polishing paste needed. Three more to go.

20230717_205720.jpg
20230722_161500.jpg

Valve cages are in.

The exhaust valve is set slightly deeper to reduce impact of thermal load.

20230805_082742.jpg

How do you machine the back taper on the valves to get such a nice surface? My valves after turning look good but under a hand lens have visible grooves that seem to make for poor sealing sometimes.
I used a honed edge of HSS, then polish the surface with 2000 wet and dry(wet oil).
Cheers
Andrew

How do you machine the back taper on the valves to get such a nice surface? My valves after turning look good but under a hand lens have visible grooves that seem to make for poor sealing sometimes.
Freshly ground and stoned HSS toolbit 60 degree point, 4th from the left. Very slow feed rate, i.e. much smaller than 1/5 of the nose radius per revolution.

So really single point turning the profile. Any attempt to turn it with a wider (form) tool were unsuccessful and resulted in chatter.

RCDMS10-8nZcJnVTiPujr4.jpg

Last edited:
These are the valves just before brazing, fluxed and with smalll pieces of silver solder on top.

20230817_200829.jpg

Earlier I asked about getting a real nice finish on the valves. Got some really good input.

While the valve was in the lathe I spied a lathe tool I bought on a whim some time ago. The tool is one of those Chinese Disc tools, a round carbide disc insert on the end of a stalk. It cut beautifully with no grooves and a nice finish using a very light cut, a heavy cut will result in chatter. It also imparts a nice finish on straight turning. Being a disc it offers an infinite amount of cutting surfaces by rotating it.

Earlier I asked about getting a real nice finish on the valves. Got some really good input.

While the valve was in the lathe I spied a lathe tool I bought on a whim some time ago. The tool is one of those Chinese Disc tools, a round carbide disc insert on the end of a stalk. It cut beautifully with no grooves and a nice finish using a very light cut, a heavy cut will result in chatter. It also imparts a nice finish on straight turning. Being a disc it offers an infinite amount of cutting surfaces by rotating it.
How about the tool pressure since it is really a form tool rather than a single-point turning tool? Does it have the tendency to chatter and/or bend the valve stem?

Mock-up of the crank case. Found a design mistake. Have to remove 3 mm (~0.12") of each plate in order to be able to finally mount the camshaft housing.

All three plates are well within 0.05 mm (0.002") as they are milled in one machine step. To keep this level of accuracy, now each plate has to be remounted on the mill and painstakingly alligned for the rework. 🥵

20231220_202734.jpg

Latest posts

Back