Cutter holding

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimM

Reaction score
After searching for what feels like forever I think I've finally found a milling machine to suit my needs (an Elliott 00 Omnimill), now I'm just trying to sort out some tooling for it.

The machine has a MT3 taper spindle which will go nicely with the tooling I have for my lathe, this includes a ER32 collet holder. However the guy selling the machine also has a Clarkson Autolock collet chuck with metric and imperial collets. Is there any advantage to purchasing the Clarkson chuck or is the ER32 all that I need ?

Thanks

Jim

Jim,if you already have the ER32,I wouldn't bother with a different type chuck.If you run across a cheap extra Er chuck,you could use the one set of collets for both machines.I'm not sure how many sizes there are in Clarkson collets,but you'd be hard pressed to better the ER32 range.Just my personal opinion.Regards.Hans.

On the other hand, with the Autolock collet and screwed ends on the milling cutters the tooling can never work it's way out of the chuck. I have both types and have had a cutter go for a walk with the ER32 type, not often but once was enough.

JimM said:
However the guy selling the machine also has a Clarkson Autolock collet chuck with metric and imperial collets.

These things are around $AU200-250 new and with 2 sets of collets probably a fair bit more. If the price is reasonable for the condition and fits your budget, I say go for it. These types of chuck are the most secure way to hold threaded endmills.

Best Regards
Bob

If the Clarkson Autolock is available at a reasonable price I would take it, its another tool (toy?) in the armoury and you can't have too many of those.

The Clarkson of course uses threaded shank slotters and end mills, which are on ebay at reasonable prices, and they tend to be recognisable brands.

I use ER32 collets for most of what I do, but for heavy cuts over 10mm I usually swap over to the Clarkson as I know the cutter can't escape. Not that I've had problems with the ER32, just being cautious.

Back