Cutoff of short round stock

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvom

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading a recent copy of a machining magazine in B&N and saw where a writer made a jig to allow cutting of short pieces of round stock on a horizontal bandsaw. That gave me the following idea:

My set of Enco collet blocks have the same diameter across the flats for the hex and square blocks. So if you clamp the stock in a 5C collet in one of the blocks and place it in the bandsaw vise so as to allow the blade to contact the stock in the desired position, and then use the other block to keep the vise jaws square, you should be able to cut off slices from fairly short lengths of round stock.

I haven't tried it as my bandsaw is not operational, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I did put the blocks into the vise, and it seems to lock the blocks very tightly.

bandsaw1.jpg

Two vee blocks, one jack screw and jobs a good un.

John_S.

I fitted my bandsaw with a jack screw like that, but I usually put a 'close' hunk of something behind it as packing - saves a lot of winding.

tel said:
I fitted my bandsaw with a jack screw like that, but I usually put a 'close' hunk of something behind it as packing - saves a lot of winding.

You can't see it in the picture Tel but this saw has a quick release lever vise and I'm that used to pulling the lever that I get real fed up of the packing piece dropping on my foot :) Doesn't help in that the most handy packing hunks are always around 20 # weight :eek:

Latest posts

Back