Cutaway lathe turning

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mu38&Bg#

Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2PP9P-p79w[/ame]

Cool video of internal machining on a lathe. Seems like they used a strobe synchronized to the spindle.

Wow. Who ever came up with that idea for advertising deserves a raise.

That is the sickest machining video I've seen. That is beyond cool.

That's what I call entertainment. Gosh, sure is a lot better than what's on TV!
Thanks for the vid.

Dean

Always amazed at what can be done with a modern machine and some of the insert tools!

Thanks for posting that! VERY entertaining and informative.

Dave

I've tried to do some face depth cuts with my manual machines without very much success. First off it takes forever to make up a special tool and second you have to run it so slowly to prevent it from chattering. Ah the wonders of modern machinery.
gbritnell

Greatly appreciate the video, some of those interrupted cuts would be instant death to tools on my machines.

Thanks Greg, that was the best thing I've seen lately!

Gotta luv those trepanning tools...and the sound of the spindle speeding up & slowing down with the constant surface speed doing its thing, and the tiny little internal grooving tools...and the high speed parting...and...and...and

My thoughts on the video. Yes, the interrupted cuts would spell death on many machines in our home shops. Keep in mind this is basically an advertisement for this tooling and running dry they must be cutting a free cutting steel. Obviously, they are running a large modern CNC production machine. The deep face groove has me wondering what kind of coolant pressures would be necessary to break and blow those chips out if it wasn't cut in half. My father uses PH Horn grooving tools in production turning at work and says they are excellent.

Once you get into modern production tooling it's a different realm. They are developed and engineered to perform. My direct experience with this kind of tooling is very small, but so far very good. I browse catalogs and seeing the tremendous variety of cutting tools available blows my mind. I like to know what machines and tooling are capable of so that I can design parts to take advantage of those methods when needed.

Modern machining is incredible. I get to see some at my uncle's shop, but they don't get into anything really complicated. My father talks about the 15 year old worn out lathe he runs not being able to hold .0002" tolerances very well anymore.

I mill face grooves in my little CNC. It's much easier to do than making a tool for one operation.

I have used those deep trepanning tools on both manual and CNC machines
in industrial machines. They are amazing!

One regular job was rebuilding continuous miner augers.
One end of the augers had several deep grooves in the face for a labyrinth seal.
Before using the high speed trepanning tools tools, it would take 30 minutes
to cut each groove. Using those tools, it took about 5 minutes.

Rick

Wow that was cool, for what I saw of it. Every time I try to watch a video my center monitor goes out. I'm running triple monitors. And Its not stable yet. I'll have to check it out on my laptop. Thanks for sharing.

Dennis L.

Wow - that may be a demo but nonetheless very impressive.

I was thinking Aluminium until I saw the sparks which impressed me further.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Very impressive,but in real life you would need a lot of cutting fluid to get all the chips out of the hole.
Otherwise there is a great chance that the tool would stuck and break.
Using a cut open model makes the process a lot easier,IMHO.
Nevertheless,Horn makes good tools for very,very good money.
Cheers,Ralph

Latest posts

Back