Tangential Turning A Corner Radius

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken I

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
In one of my other hobbies - restoring old jukeboxes - I had to restore a "ballbearing" raceway - a Zink diecast part that had become badly brinelled - so much so that it no longer rotated properly

I pondered how I could replicate the 1/16" radius required for the 1/8" diameter balls - then it struck me a 1/8 drill rod sharpened and used tangentially.
Turret2.jpg

In this case below centre with the lathe in reverse as it was easier to get to that way with my quick change toolpost.

Clearly you could produce most any internal corner radius this way using a drill rod or turned / hardened / sharpened piece of silver steel.

Regards, Ken I

I have one of these I need to restore.

Luckily the parts pretty much all move, and the motor runs.

The popcorn pan is a bit rusted.

It has a peanut roaster on the back, with a chute that runs vertically to the peanut holding area under the popcorn area.

I have looked at the burners, jets, and vaporizer, and found some old instructions, and so I think I can make it work.

The fuel tank uses white gas, and pumps up like a Coleman stove.

I like old stuff.
I tried to find the previous model of this machine that was steam powered, but those are extraordinarily rare.

Not to hijack your thread, but your machine reminded me of this one with all of its chains, sprockets, etc.
The popcorn man is animated, and he rotates the glass drum (which one fills with peanuts) when the popcorn agitator is running.

The round knob on the end of the peanut roaster, at the center of the sprocket, is a cylinder cut in half, so peanut samples can be withdrawn and tested to see if the roasting is complete.

There is a burner under the holding area; one under the popcorn roaster pan, and one under the peanut roaster; all U-shaped tubing with multiple small holes drilled in the top.

Earn-More-No-06-Special-01.jpg
Cretors-EM-03.jpg
Cretors-EM-06.jpg
Cretors-EM-07.jpg
Cretors-EM-09.jpg
Cretors-EM-10.jpg
Cretors-EM-11.jpg

Edit:
This was the steam-engine-powered model.
Totally self-contained, no electricity required.
Some of these date back to the pre-electricity days I think, or at least the days before electricity was readily avaiable.

Cretors-PDF-02.jpg

Last edited:
Green Twin - very cool and worthy of restoration.

Brian Rupnow posted plans for a Popcorn engine back in 2011

Brian does Popcorn

I'm not sure - but it might be nice to reverse engineer it back to steam driven.

Meanwhile here's the 1948 Wurlitzer 1015 that that colour cylinder turret capstan came off - fully restored - running on 78rpm records and original restored valve amplifier.
us&1015.jpg

Thought you might like to see it.
AmpRest1.jpg

If anyone is interested, I have (somewhat incoherent) MSword files on the mechanism and amplifier restoration as well as how to make the bubble tubes.
I have my own Acad files on the amplifier circuits and cam sets. If you are interested just send me a PM.

Regards, Ken I

Last edited:
Can you buy an insert and make a holder for it. I know making a holder doesnt sound fun but can save you 125 bucks. I have the drawing for the holder somewhere around here. I have made a few for sureline owners. Works good. Also the holder will work with all there grooving tools down to .019 wide. Kinda handy.

Found It!

https://www.kbctools.com/itemdetail/1-293T-053

Attachments

• NikcoleToolHolder.pdf
    14.8 KB · Views: 27
I have made toolholders for carbide inserts, just to see if I could do it. I can and I did. It was a good way to investigate using some of the different shape inserts that were on sale.

I lost my original source, but I just tried googling: "making carbide toolholder."

As an example from that search:

https://www.homemadetools.net/homemade-carbide-insert-tool-holders
I only post those examples, but what I originally did was similiar. In my trials with carbides, I have also bought the inexpensive holders using triangular inserts sold by just about everybody with inserts included and I have bought other packages of holders sold with other shapes of inserts.

Inspite of all that, I still use HSS home-ground bits on my small lathe for a lot of things.

--ShopShoe

I have made toolholders for carbide inserts, just to see if I could do it. I can and I did. It was a good way to investigate using some of the different shape inserts that were on sale.

I lost my original source, but I just tried googling: "making carbide toolholder."

As an example from that search:

https://www.homemadetools.net/homemade-carbide-insert-tool-holders
I only post those examples, but what I originally did was similiar. In my trials with carbides, I have also bought the inexpensive holders using triangular inserts sold by just about everybody with inserts included and I have bought other packages of holders sold with other shapes of inserts.

Inspite of all that, I still use HSS home-ground bits on my small lathe for a lot of things.

--ShopShoe
I lookt at that website a few years ago, got their "free" book but the book was really just abunch of links to youtub vids and ads to buy their yearly or monthly newsletter. I found NO actual plans which were what I was afterr. Not only that, most of the socalled builds were crappy things. NOt all but most.

Back