Craftex 7x8 Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwapoboy

Reaction score
Hey everybody, picked up a Craftex mini lathe today its the 7x8 one thats on sale right now for 575. What I was wondering is what mods you guys suggest I do to it to make it better?(Might try and upgrade the motor one day).

Oh ya, I mainly plan on machining, Aluminum, Delrin, and cold rolled steel, and maybe and i do mean maybe stainless steel

When I had a mini-lathe, I made the following mods (in order of usefulness):

1. QCTP
2. Camlock tailstock
3. Affixed a dial indicator to the crossfeed.
4. Carriage Stop

...Ved,

I heartily recommend the OXA QCTP from Little Machine Shop(usual disclaimer, just a happy customer). I have extended my cross slide travel, made a custom fine feed banjo, and added a T-Slot Cross Slide from LMS.
Soon, I will be replacing the stock motor controller with a treadmill controller. I think I will leave the stock drive including the motor on my 7x, but if the motor gives problems, I have a treadmill motor standing by...

Chuck

The thing also is the stock motor is 1/3HP would it be worth modifying it to a 1/2HP motor or even maybe a 3/4HP motor?

Would upgrading the motor be worth it? stock motor is 1/3HP bushed motor

Picked up a DRO Kit today from Busy Bee suppost to fit this model lathe, went to do the compound rest and the gib wont fit :( So trying to figure out if its worth getting a custom gib made or if I should modify this gib as its 0.040"approx. difference

Picked up a DRO Kit today from Busy Bee suppost to fit this model lathe, went to do the compound rest and the gib wont fit :( So trying to figure out if its worth getting a custom gib made or if I should modify this gib as its 0.040"approx. difference

witch DRO did you get.... The igaging one I hope
whats wrong with the GIB
where about in Canada are you

cheers

this one http://www.busybeetools.com/products/digital-read-out-for-metal-lathe.html

Replaces two of the main screws, compound rest. and the Gib is two big to fit the new kit

There is one BIG SERIOUS ISSUE
they dont take into consideration your back lach in your lathe.
these are quad encoder reader. They count the step going up and going down to the turning of your handel. So if your lathe have 4 thou back lash it wont dee it:wall::wall::wall: you would be 100 time better with these
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/digital-remote-readout-0-6in-in-and-metric.html they do measure your movement and not the count of pulse. Some people don't like them:hDe: I do this is what I'm using on my Taig lathe:D:D
where are you in Canada ???

beside you will save half the price Rof}Rof}Rof}

Last edited:
An even more insidious problem with the leadscrew type DRO's is that the backlash is not constant. You might measure the backlash as, say, 4 thou and add/subtract this figure. However, that figure will change depending on the quality of the leadscrew and where in the leadscrew's travel you are working, it may be 4thou in the middle of the leadscrew, 3 thou at one end and 6 thou at the other. Also, wear will change these figures over time.
Linear Scales are definitely the way to go.

The thing also is the stock motor is 1/3HP would it be worth modifying it to a 1/2HP motor or even maybe a 3/4HP motor?

This is a small lathe I can't see a reason to go to 3\4 HP, unless you wanted to upgrade to a 3Phase motor and a VFD. Even then you would have trouble finding a place for the motor. The reason you might do such a large motor is to get more torque at low RPMs making your range of speeds more useful.

Given that a larger motor suggest more things to break if a stall condition is reached. You will have to consider the negatives along with the positives. The lathe might be able to use a 1/2 hp motor without being over sized but you still have the issue of where to put it.

If I sound wishy washy here it is because not every machine is suitable for a power upgrade. My father like to do such things like putting a 3HP motor on a tiny contractors saw. Sometime excessive HP is just scary. Your best bet is to search the net and see if anybody has actually done such an upgrade.

This is a small lathe I can't see a reason to go to 3\4 HP, unless you wanted to upgrade to a 3Phase motor and a VFD. Even then you would have trouble finding a place for the motor. The reason you might do such a large motor is to get more torque at low RPMs making your range of speeds more useful.

Given that a larger motor suggest more things to break if a stall condition is reached. You will have to consider the negatives along with the positives. The lathe might be able to use a 1/2 hp motor without being over sized but you still have the issue of where to put it.

If I sound wishy washy here it is because not every machine is suitable for a power upgrade. My father like to do such things like putting a 3HP motor on a tiny contractors saw. Sometime excessive HP is just scary. Your best bet is to search the net and see if anybody has actually done such an upgrade.

Thanks for the reply, They say its a 7x8 but its more like a 7x10(Might get the 7x14 bed upgrade kit from LMS one day). I also have a mini mill and done have a huge amount of space, plus its the perfect size for what I mainly machine(Aluminum and Delrin).

Also Returned the DRO kit today with no issues. And purchased some tooling. Thinking Ill need to order Imperial conversion kit from LMS if the kit will kit.

So what kind of mods will make the lathe more accurate and more sturdy? P.S. Cost isnt that important tbh plan on putting a decent amount of cash into getting all set up

Look into tapered gibs for the saddle. That will improve the stability of the saddle. That's the only mod I can think of for rigidity. Most mods are to increase functionality or capacity.

Chuck

Look into tapered gibs for the saddle. That will improve the stability of the saddle. That's the only mod I can think of for rigidity. Most mods are to increase functionality or capacity.

Chuck

Thanks for the reply, I will have to look into that for sure. Only issue I think I will run into is the Gibs on my lathe I dont think are the same as what usually on a 7x lathe. Anybody have measurements of there gibs by any chance so I can see if mine are the same?

Hi i did a thread on a linishing mc and making new brass gibs without a mill
I gave all the dims both existing and new.I found it very easy.Regards barry

The British magazine Model Engineers Workshop produced a series of articles on the mini-lathe. You can read or download part 1 from www.arceurotrade.co.uk. Scroll down the page and click on Projects and Articles. Scroll down again to The C3 Mini-Lathe Part 1.

The articles referenced above were collated into a book by the original author, Dave Fenner - Workshop Practice Series #43, The Mini-Lathe.
This author also wrote Workshop Practice Series #48, Mini-Lathe Tools and Projects. They are available (maybe in stock) at Busy Bee or online at Amazon or Chapters.

The Home Shop Machinist has been running a series by Ted Hansen called Additions and Modifications to the Mini-Lathe. Busy Bee might have but Chapters, for sure.

The usual disclaimers.

Latest posts

Back