Complete Newbie Here!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Stig

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Let me start off by saying that these homemade engines I've seen on this site are AMAZING! I'm so interested in building one myself. I'm a massive gearhead. I've got a 1970 Chevelle that I've been restoring slowly since college, (I'm 27). Ive always been facinated in CNC and I love the idea of buying a mill and crafting parts instead of spending money on the parts themselves. I know just about NOTHING when it comes to CNC so feel free to treat me like a 5 year old :). I don't know if I'm going to get into the hobby yet, but I'd like to find out more if I do want to persue this more. That all being said, I've got a few questions for you all.

Like most forums I've been on, I know research is key. Can anyone point me to the best place to read up on CNC? It seems kind of broad, like there's no standard to what program/code you can use.

Which brings me to my next question, is there a majority ruled mill that's recommened to purchase? I'd prefer one where I don't have to upgrade to the next step-up model. I'm planning on being able to craft a V8 engine and mount it to like a go-cart or something just to have that unique, fun weekend thing to blow-off steam. But realistically I'd like to mill out small, non-complicated parts like engine mounts, accessory brackets, screws, etc for the Chevelle. I'm guessing I'll work mostly in aluminum for sake of weight, cost and the fact that I'll be able to forge my own ingots fairly easily. One thing that would be hella cool is if there's a mill with a working area large enough to create rims, but I'm guessing that's a pipe dream where the machines cost as much as a car, probably even more... I'm on what most would consider a tight budget. It's a little loose since all the money will be coming from my car fund, but if the ROI is fairly good, then I'm all for it!

I apologize in advanced if what I've written is repetitive or so obsolete in logical sense that you'd like nothing more than to bang your head on the wall over and over again. I've been on many forums where I think just that to noobs. Here's hoping to an awesome future in the mini-engine world!

Sincerely,
Mitch

To use CNC in a home shop you must first be good at doing machining operation on manual machines. CNC machines do not automatically know how to properly hold a part, or to select the right tool, or how fast to move the tool. All the things that a manual machinist must do are also required for CNC, then you need the additional effort to learn CNC. I suggest you start with a simple manual lathe and mill and learn how to make parts on them, then when you understand that move on to a CNC machine.

The cost of entry to this hobby can be steep. Even purchasing low end equipment you can spend well over $2000 on a mini-mill and mini-lathe.

I'd suggest joining a makerspace to get familiar with the equipment. For a few months subscription you can learn a hell of a lot about cutting metal without the huge financial outlay.

And as RonGinger said, learn to machine with a manual machine first.

...Ved.

Latest posts

Back