Cold guns ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROB 123

Reaction score
I came across these today on the web ,has anyone had a go with one as they seem to be ok .
I do need a new compressor soon so could get one that will give enough air .

I like the idea of not using cutting oil .

Rob.

They have a limited application in my opinion. I have one left over from a past project in a industrial application that did not work that well. They will run your compressor to death ! Overall expensive to operate. Try a Fog Buster spray mist system or make one from plans available on the Metalworking Fun Forum.

Cold air blow is mostly to try to keep the endmills cooler when they are being run fast and hard enough for temperature to shorten it's life. This means the chips are coming off red hot. Even then, some will say the improvement over plain old air is questionable. The application is usually very hard steels where cutting tool temperatures are so high that coolant would cause fracturing of the endmills so they are run dry with air to help cool the tool and keep chips out of the way. I recently saw a big name tool which had cryogenic cooling via liquid CO2. They claimed something like 50% more tool life in superalloys for turbine blades.

Greg

Thanks for reply's I think I will stay with what im doing as it does work well just a bit messy but its only for a couple of days every 3 months.

Rob.

Clearing chips is more important than temperature. Air blast works for me on the CNC mill. Manually I just look at chip color.

I came across these today on the web ,has anyone had a go with one as they seem to be ok .
I do need a new compressor soon so could get one that will give enough air .

I like the idea of not using cutting oil .

Rob.

They use a lot of air! Beyond that they don't solve the surface finish issues that cutting fluids help with.

Back