CNC brass feed and speed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy

Reaction score
I am machining some brass on the CNC taig mill.
still trying to figure out the optimal spindle speed, depth of cut and ipm feed and wondering if I can get some pointers.

the item machined is around .485 diameter I am facing it, first few passes are intermitted cut then the last is a full face.

I am using a .5 two flute HSS end mill, the diameter cleans up the face entirely

I have available 1100 to 10000 rpm but belt drive so the speeds are fixed, I forget the options available in that range.
machine is advertised up to 30ipm but not sure how comfortable I am with that.

On my mill, which is nominal 3HP, a full width cut at .025 DOC finish cut, GWizard recommends 2300 RPM at 18 IPM. It also power for this cut as .15 HP. I assumed 1" stickout.

Unless you have a large number of parts to make I wouldn't worry about optimizing. You can start out with a slower feed and increase it gradually while listening to the machine and seeing if surface finish is satisfactory. 4 flute can feed twice as fast.

thank you!
I will be running a high volume of parts not to worried about optimizing but I was having difficulties with surface finish and as you stated while listening it didn't quite sound right
I was playing around but didn't make great progress, I see I can change my setup drastically with what you provided.

will give it a shot and see what happens.

Back