Clubs or Groups in SW Michigan

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkastagehand

Reaction score
In another topic which I unintentionally sort of hijacked, Gordon from SW Michigan asked if there were any clubs or groups in the area. I haven't found any "official" groups yet but there is a small group that has from time to time gotten together to talk locomotives in general and gauge 1 railroading in particular. So this group of guys is pretty much all steam loco and railroad. I think I'm the only one that also has an interest in I.C. or other machining projects.

Anyone else out there from SW Michigan that might be interested in doing occasional shop visits or of even forming a club? Could be all aspects of home shop machining, could be I.C. specific, could be whatever we want it to be. I've asked this question on a couple other sites but not gotten much response. If the membership of this site is different maybe I have a chance of catching a few of us. There is a yahoo group that was started quite a while back toward this end too but few have joined and no one has really contributed. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthernMichiganMachinists/?yguid=112704565

Paul

I am in the Holland area weekends and a few full weeks during the period from about May 1 through October 31 and perhaps once a month the rest of the year. Unfortunately my shop is at my home in the Chicago area, but I'd be up for an informal get together to discuss IC engines and machining generally.

Hi Paul,

I might still be interested if/when you're in town. I have Breisch Lil' Brother I've not gotten running very well and if you've experience in Hit n' miss models I'd be glad to have an outsider look at. Or otherwise just to chat; bring a model you've done sometime?

Otherwise the response here seems to be what I've gotten from other forums and attempts to contact locals. Either not many of us in this area who are also on these various forums or are too private and don't like strangers in their shops.

Paul

I certainly would be interested in meeting others with like interests. Anyone in the Grand Rapids area at any time drop me an email and we can at least get together for coffee.

Gordon said:
I certainly would be interested in meeting others with like interests. Anyone in the Grand Rapids area at any time drop me an email and we can at least get together for coffee.

Gordon and Paul,

Do you have a main area of interest like IC or steam or whatever? Or general machining?

I am building an A3 0-4-0 from the Kozo's book but not tied to steam.

Paul

I haven't built an engine yet, but plan to do an IC, probably a two stroke, as soon as I finish getting my lathe set up to cut more accurately and with good finishes. (I'm currently rebuilding the quick change gear box- it's an older Atlas 10 x 54.) I also have a steam engine and boiler that was made for my dad by the guys in my grandfather's shop, when my dad was two years old, back in 1916, which I am restoring. I have a new Grizzly G0704 with DRO's and a lot of tooling, all set up and ready to go.

Searching for groups in Michigan I found this short but not so old thread. Did anyone ever get together? I would not mind meeting up with others in South Michigan, shop tours, coffee, whatever.

I just moved recently and am in the process of setting up the shop again. Been doing woodworking and glass for some years, just getting into metal and looking forward to my first build (if I can get the shop together).

I know clubs can be a pain, but something informal and not much trouble. Any interest?

--Mark

Mbusha said:
Searching for groups in Michigan I found this short but not so old thread. Did anyone ever get together? I would not mind meeting up with others in South Michigan, shop tours, coffee, whatever.

I just moved recently and am in the process of setting up the shop again. Been doing woodworking and glass for some years, just getting into metal and looking forward to my first build (if I can get the shop together).

I know clubs can be a pain, but something informal and not much trouble. Any interest?

--Mark

I've always enjoyed informal shop visits or even meeting somewhere for coffee sort of thing (with pictures or model or two for show and tell). I have some guys locally that I visit with with from time to time as mentioned above. Looks like you're a little farther away so with price of gas and travel time it may not be as interesting to most.

Paul

I'm in the Kalamazoo area - anyone in that area interested in meeting? I've surfed the web a bit looking for clubs, groups, whatever, but haven't found anything yet.

Latest posts

Back