A big howdy-doo from Virginia!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy everyone,

My name is Charlie and for the most part I'm brand new to this hobby. Ever since I was able to hold a wrench I have been taking things apart to find out how they work, then putting them back together. Like most of my family was, I was brought up on the family farm where we fix everything ourselves. Most all the guys in my family are into the railroad (It's sorta our family tradition). We have a Frick 36 portable boiler that we run in local shows. At one particular show there is always a little shop that is set up that has model engines running. Since the first show I went to I have always been amazed by the little engines and how they operated. Over the years I have ran my dad's small Jensen 65 engine, but have always wanted to make my own engine. I talked with the guy that built the model engines and found that he based some of his engines on projects in the Home Shop Machinist catalog over the years, and others he completely built from scratch. I started looking around for some of the 90s era issues for the Home shop machinist since the guy had suggested that time period to me. After about a week of no luck, I sketched out my own plans on a napkin that we had, which I ended up finding in our oily rag bin... After that, my interest in building my own engine took a back seat as we got a bit overwhelmed on the farm. Since things have died down and are back to normal now, I have gotten back into the desire to build my own, but have decided I want to build a couple proven designs before I design my own. After doing some more research I decided that the first engine I would take a crack at would be the Sparey Diesel Engine. After mulling around on the internet I was led to this site, which, to say the least, has opened my eyes to a lot more information! Everything seems to be falling into place at the right moment, as we are working on moving into our new machine shop and will have all of our machines at my disposal, and I found this site! Hopefully I am able to live up to par with the attention to detail that everyone exhibits on this site.

I have looked through some of the builds that are on this site. Everyone here has some amazing talent! Hopefully some may rub off on me while going through all of the build threads that are on here. I was just wanting to say a big howdy-doody to everyone on here and to thank all the people that keep this site up and running so that those that are new to the hobby (like me) can get into this hobby relatively easily.

Thanks again for this great forum, I hope to learn a lot from this forum and hope that I can even contribute to this great site! Thanks for reading!

-Charlie.

And a big g'day from down-under. Looking forward to following your projects. The Sparey diesel sounds great.

And a big g'day from down-under. Looking forward to following your projects. The Sparey diesel sounds great.

Why thank ya Herbie! I have heard that the Spareys have good sound qualities to them. Hopefully one of my projects can get close to your Wombat's clean and subtle looks.

Last edited:
Back