Tamey from Australia - Newbie to hobby

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All!

Tamey here, from a place called Googong which is just outside of Australia's capital, Canberra. I live there with the Missus and two pug dogs. Incidentally, I rate 4th in the family pecking order.....it's kind of an irrelevant point, but it plays on my mind.... 8)

So.....I'm no hobby machinist....zero experience...... but it's something I want to learn. I have a well developed interest in tinkering. In the past, I've dabbled with some electronics and bit of amateur woodwork in the garage. But the cold, hard truth is that I have no lathe, no mill, no workshop and no idea.

BUT - the shed/workshop should be built in a few months. (*Tamey furiously shakes fist in general direction of local Council due to building approval delays*).

After "the Retreat" is built, I intend to go toy shopping! (*Already approved by the Minister of War and Finance! I've got a budget so it will be interesting to see how far I blast past that!)

Only then I will hopefully begin to turn stock into swarf and...probably scrap...but having fun doing it; all the while doing my very best to ensure the finger count at start of project equals the count at conclusion.

So....I'm looking to you bright sparks to ensure I don't completely botch this all up. Your site is full of inspiration and good advice - I thank you in advance. I hope to contribute with my experiences as a newbie to the hobby. I'll be asking all the usual start-up questions but rest assured that I'll do some thread searches first to see what has been said before; thus hopefully minimising the wastage of peoples' time.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

regards to you all
Tamey

Hi Tamey ,
Welcome to the forum mate !
You will find quite a few Aussies here and we are all here to help mate so ask away - no question is to silly or simple so don’t be afraid to ask as we have all been in the same position you are now and everybody has to start from somewhere .

Ian.

Welcome Tamey!

Just remember we were all where you are right now. The members here understand what just starting out feels like. I think we go the extra mile to make sure to answer your questions in a way that will hopefully give you the confidence to try just about anything but do it in a safe manner so it remains fun.

Welcome Tamey. I was where you are not so long ago - except I found the forum after I'd started making mistakes so you're in a better position than I was. Lot's of help and lot's of info here. Enjoy!

Hay welcome you will find a lot of help hear there all good people
Regards from cold rainy Melbourne

Tamey welcome to the hobby. As there are so many aspects to our hobby I am sure you will find something that takes your fancy. It is a great user of time and also exercises the brain cells and I am sure you will soon find there will be plenty of fellow model engineers who are willing to help and advise you. In Australia we do have a few good suppliers of both tools/ equipment and castings and materials. Do you have any particular area of interest in model engineering?
George,
Bundaberg.

Tamey welcome to the hobby. As there are so many aspects to our hobby I am sure you will find something that takes your fancy. It is a great user of time and also exercises the brain cells and I am sure you will soon find there will be plenty of fellow model engineers who are willing to help and advise you. In Australia we do have a few good suppliers of both tools/ equipment and castings and materials. Do you have any particular area of interest in model engineering?
George,
Bundaberg.
Hi George
Thank you for the welcome. I have no particular goal in mind. I tinker making Nixie clocks with custom cases (gifts for family, not a business) and thought some machining might also further enhance some of the creations (e.g. steam punk cases with moving gears - see attached images for something I made a while back when I had basic shed).
I am also very keen to build some engines - I'm more interested in stirling or steam engines using compressed air as opposed to combustion engines. I think something like the wobbler might be a good start. Open to any recommendations.
Tamey
nixie 1.jpg
nixie 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back