2' gauge locomotive power question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SE18

Reaction score
I recently went from building home model railroad cars and locomotives to becoming interested in building a real working railroad, since I plan to retire to Harrisonburg VA within a few years and acquire a lot of land for the RR to run through. I'm not sure, btw, if this is the right forum for asking questions of the 1:1 type.

So I acquired 5 kiln cars and assorted wheel sets and am looking to bank some rails in the 8-30# range. But my question has to do with the locomotive engine.

Right now, I'm welding some C channel into a 38"x 80" frame which will be bolted the axle/wheels/pedestals and atop which will mount some sort of engine.

There are several options I have that I need help sorting thru.

1. I could acquire one already built, spending up to $5K (my budget). That would certainly lessen the work needed to be done but it wouldn't be something I created. Also, there's become a huge following in 1:1 railways and these get snapped up quickly and the price is inflated.

2. I'm not enough of a machinist to make castings and cylinders, but I thought to acquire a generator and AC motor (with slow RPM and high torque) and find some gears to make it all work. A site from someone who tried this might help.

3. I could buy this F-M gas engine, but if it runs seems sketchy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/182294986025?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true (wish the seller would have said more)

4. I could take apart a ride on tractor or quad and try that.

Any suggestions welcome

13179070_231720287206241_878030268245700494_n.jpg

13226876_231720283872908_55818521238083159_n.jpg

Sir,

just as a suggestion to save you from some headache and money, I would considering narrowing the gauge a little bit. It would stand to reason that if you were to go to say... 15" gauge, you would have support from the 1/4 scale folks as well. Now, if you are dead set on 2' gauge, personally I would take option 3- but with a newer gas engine.

Machining isn't that bad to learn. I am a gibbering idiot (at least according to my drill sergeant when I was in basic training ten years ago) and I have done decently at it thus far.

Personally, if I were in your shoes I would try to take the Connor Beam engine and double it in size- I am sure that a lot of the components on that bad boy wouldn't need that much machining.

Latest posts

Back