Closed Crankcase Hoglet

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

errolf2

Reaction score
IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG
IMG_0611.JPG
IMG_0612.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
IMG_0616.JPG
IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG
I have just finished building a Closed Crankcase Hoglet. I have used aluminium for the build with steel liners in the cylinders.
Building the crankshaft was the most challenging and getting it to run true, I turned the crankpin down to 5/16 on each end and threaded it and pressed it into the 4''x 1/2 discs using lock nuts to secure it. The main bearings are screwed into the centre of the discs and then I tur ned them down to 10mmm as a unit .
The main bearings are single row roller bearings. I have used an O ring and a steel piston ring, it compression test at 160 psi
after the usual first start difficulties I have got it to run reasonably smoothly.

View attachment 108594
IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG

Very nice.
How are you venting that closed crankcase? Is it the brass fitting sticking out in front?

Good morning Hopper ,
Thanks for your comments,
The brass fitting is the vent , when I first ran the engine it expelled copious drops of oil out of the vent holes so I put a piece of scotchbrite wool inside the cap covering the vent holes and this solved the problem

Very Nice! Looks more authentic with that crank case. Grats!
Rudy
I thought of milling the crank case and relieving around the crank case studs but chose not to due to the small size of my rotary table.
Errol

I assume you now put some oil in the crank case? The original design has no oiling and therefore not suitable for doing work, as it is stated in the drawings.
I have the plans my selves and i'm considering building it. I have also been looking towards another crank case design.
Rudy

Hi Rudy,
Yes I am running 5w20 synthetic oil,
The engine is=s 36cc so it is capable of useful work , however without strengthening of the con rods and crankpin I think its life would be short lived,
Thanks for your interest
Errol

Hi Rudy,
Yes I am running 5w20 synthetic oil,
The engine is=s 36cc so it is capable of useful work , however without strengthening of the con rods and crankpin I think its life would be short lived,
Thanks for your interest
Errol
Nah. The original Hoglet built by Randy is still running. He also built a HOGLET using Briggs and Stratton cylinders and then mounted the engine in a Harley Sportster frame. He rode it around the WEME show. It had an open case and open gearbox. Ran fine. Note that his Open Six/Four/eight/twelve engines run with no oiling systems and they run a long time.

Thanks Brian,
It runs pretty good I haven't worked out how to post a video as yet
Regards
Errol

Latest posts

Back