Climax and other marine cylinder locomotives

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokebox

Reaction score

HIYA Everyone;

I was wondering, what size cylinders were used in locomotives such as the Class A climax?
Also, what kind of marine cylinders were used in them?

Thanks,

Rob Wright
smokebox

Hi Rob,
The vertical Climax engines were 2 cylinder 7x7 bore and stroke engines for the 15 ton loco with a T boiler and 2 cylinder 7.5x7 engine for the 18 ton loco with a T boiler. This was from an undated catalog.

The 1924 catalog has the 2-7.5x7 engine with a 22 ton loco with a straight top locomotive boiler.

I am not sure what you mean about what type of marine cylinders but the engraving of the vert engine looks exactly like a marine engine except there are 2 spur gears on the extended shaft that has a bearing on both sides of the gears. The reverse gear is Stephenson with launch links and the reverse lever is attached directly to the tumbling shaft and sticks out 900 between the cylinders.

Dan

Rob,
The best resource for the vertical Climax engine is "The Climax Locomotive" by Thompson, Dunn & Hauff.

There are photos of the locomotive interior of S/N 313 which is a 12 ton with a 2-6.5" x 7" engine and a T boiler. This thing was a true rail yacht with the engine in the center and bench seats on the sides. The photo looks just like it could have been taken inside a boat in a marina parking lot.

There are also 3/4" scale drawing of the engine and gear box which is a simply another lever to change from slow to even slower. The drawing of the whole locomotive is 1/4" scale. Detail shots show all the main features of this rare Class A Climax survivor.

Dan

Rob,

I've got a couple of pics here of what I think might be the engine you are describing.

shay13.jpg

shay14.jpg

shay21.jpg

If I'm not mistaken these were actually called Shay's.

Bernd

Hi Bernd,
All the photos you posted are of products manufactured by the Climax Manufacturing Company of Corry PA.

There was only a single Shay that looked anything like one of these and it was the very first one built by E. Shay. It was a two cylinder marine engine mounted transversely for belt then chain drive to a side lineshaft using standard bevel gears.

The Climax used a center lineshaft with skew bevel gears where the line shaft ran above the axle shafts. The last photo is the catalog engraving I was describing with words in my first post. The shifting lever is not installed but you can see the key on the shaft and the gear slider. A second set of gears is on the lineshaft mounted directly below the engine base casting.

I am mostly a Shay guy but I collect information about all the geared locomotives the Class A Climax is one of my favorite non Shay locomotives because the resemblance to a marine engine is very easy to see.

Dan

See what happens when you have "info overload". :noidea: Rof}

Somewere among my collection of books or pictures I have a picture of Ephriam Shay's "Baby" shay. But your right these are Climax's. I didn't post the rest of the drawings that go with the pictures. I was palnning on building a 1 1/2" scale Climax base on the first pic. and using a gear set up simular to the drawings.

My first hobby is model railroading so I'm up on the steam engines. Have all 3 of Kozo's books on building the geared engines. Have also ridden the Cass Railroad several times. Quite thrilling to hear a 3 cyclinder Shay at top speed. You'd think a jet was taking off.

Reason I post the pics was it didn't sound like you familar with these engines. Now I see that you are. Thm: Sorry about that.

Bernd

Bernd said:
See what happens when you have "info overload". :noidea: Rof}

Yes there are so many cool engines it is hard to pick a one.

Baby was not the first Shay built. There is only a single photo of the first Shay with the marine engine that is similar to the patent drawing. The photo has been printed in "The Shay Locomotive" and a few other books and articles.

Here is a link to a very good image of Baby running an excursion train at Harbor Springs MI.
http://www.shorpy.com/node/7786?size=_original

Dan

Latest posts

Back