Chuck Runout

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John

Now I understand. Fortunately mine didn’t have any issues like that. I didn’t get the super deluxe version with the DRO’s and lead screw cover, knowing that I can get the Sino DRO’s from Hong Kong at a far better price than the upgrade was being offered. Therefore I didn’t experience the lead screw cover problem either.

I haven’t had an issue yet with the chuck guard, as you say it probably can be. One of the other club members has one of these lathes and removed it completely when he moved the electrical control box from the back of the lathe to make it wall mounting. Of course that’s a personal choice.

Thanks for letting me know, at least there’s nothing horrendous waiting in the wings, unbeknownst to me

Pete

Spoke to the vendor on Friday and it looks like Vince got it right. The back plate is suspect and they are going to machine it and see if that fixes it. Otherwise they said they'll replace the chuck.

I know I could have done this myself but if it didn't prove to be the back plate, and I'd messed with it, any discussion with the vendor would have been harder.

Pete

The back plate was out so they machined it and refitted the chuck, that didn't fix it, apparently the register on the chuck was out as well. Anyway those nice guys at Machinery House Auckland sent me a new chuck ;D ;D

Image00001.jpg

Its half the weight of the original and has no back plate the camlock pins are part of the chuck.

The run-out is fine and no vibration at high speed

http://www.youtube.com/v/PkaYaIE9W4o

Pete

Latest posts

Back