chuck mounting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itowbig

Reaction score
ok so i have a 5 inch three jaw chuck and want to mount it to my rotab how do i do this. i see pics of them mounted but it never shows how its mounted. my home made rotab is just a flat disk but needd to know the diferent ways of mounting it.
pics would help me better to under stand . thanks Thm:

Is there a backing plate on the chuck (if so, what is the mount)? Is there a center hole in your rotary table (if so, what is it)? How many T slots in the table and what diameter is the table?

my i was not expecting all these ?s. no backing plate, no center hole, no slots , five inch table.
i was hunting for ideas and or pics of how they are mounted to give me some kinda plan as to which direction to go.
one day ill have enough money for a phase 11 rotary table four inch maybe 6inch. but untill that day comes ill have to do with what i got. do i drill holes all the way though the chuck or ?. im at a loss for now.

Next question for you: Is the chuck 'through bolting' i.e are the mounting bolts passed through the front of the chuck into the backplate or do they come from the back of the backplate into the chuck?

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Sid lots of variables. I have a 4 jaw chuck on my 4" rotary table there are 4 through holes in the chuck to mount to the back plate and 4 t slots in the rotab so in my case make 4 t nuts and assemble.

You are dealing with a horse of a different color in many ways. a three jaw chuck has a scroll plate that makes it work so through bolting is an unlikely solution.
How does the chuck mount to the lathe ? or is this just a chuck you have with no mounting threads pins etc IE a plane back chuck with no back plate.
Tin

A flat back 3-jaw chuck ought to have some threaded holes to mount to a backing plate. Since your rotab is "home made", you could just drill some holes in the plate to match the chuck. Or you could make a separate backing plate for the chuck and attach it to your plate as you see fit.

I asked a lot of questions and show up late for the party. I think I understand what you have and I am guessing that your rotary table has still not been used (you have no way to fasten to it). If the construction of your table makes it possible, I would remove the top plate and mount it to the chuck like a back plate and then re-assemble the rotary table.

This would be more feasible with a four jaw chuck as you won't have any way to get an exact center on your work piece with a three jaw. Once again, it depends on what you want to make and what precision is required.

Dave no there is no though bolt holes (i did think about drilling or trying to drill those though)

Tin there are three bolt holes on the back side of the chuck that mounts to the lathe (not my lathe but a 9x something lathe)

Stan i though about that too

im still pondering on this getting more info as i go my options are open right now i can modify both units the chuck does not fit anything i have its just an extra that i have. the more ideas for mounting the thing i get the more i can maybe adapt a few of them to make this work. thank u all very much when i get it all figgered out ill sure show u some pics . it probably wont be pretty but it will be usable ;D
you have given me a few ideas on witch way to go . thank you very much

Sid, if your RT has no T-slots, no center hole, and no other mounting devices, (holes), on the top of the table, it sounds like you are not done making it yet.
You will probably have to make a back plate for the chuck and mount it to the RT, but you have to put something in the table of the RT to hold stuff down.

If the top of the RT is the same size as the back of the chuck, you won't have room for hold downs. You can make an internally threaded spud to fit the back of the chuck, and a matching male unit to bolt to the top of the RT. Then you can thread the chuck onto the top of the RT.

Show us a picture of your RT!

Dean

Brain thanks that give me of an idea.

Dean ya its not really finished yet as im still deciding what holes and or slots to put in it.
i have it made and it works but there is no way to hold parts on it yet .
thats why im asking ?s now to see what i can do with the chuck that i have.
so im thinking now that it will be permanent mount so that means i can just remove the table and drill holes to mount the chuck.
im thinking thats going to be my best route till i get a phase 2 . my skills are still not that good but i am learning more and more as i keep reading hear and there. there is so much to learn i just take one day at a time and if i get to it then i get to it if i dont then i dont.
i do thank you all for the ideas :bow:

After reading your later posts, my suggestion is to forget about the chuck. At this point, you just need someway to fasten a workpiece to the table and center it as close as necessary. If you have the capability to put in some T slots that would be best. If you can't put in T slots then just drill and tap some holes (even in random locations) that will let you clamp your material. If you are reluctant to do this to your new table, then make a sacrificial plate that you can fasten to the table with just three tapped holes.

Stan i have drilled a couple hole holes already ans taped them but then i looked down in the bottom shelf and saw this chuck that i dont use and thought id mount it to the table some how in the hopes that i would use it more than the table its self. ive got a pretty good idea now thanks to all of u

Latest posts

Back