Chuck Fellows John Deere engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last one

DSCF0049.JPG

DSCF0052.JPG

View attachment valve.pdf

Very nice Charlie.
Nice drawings also. Greatly appreciated. :)
Gail in NM,USA

Thanks Charlie the pdf's look great! I just finished printing them up, so now I have nothing to stop me from building!

I used Acetal (Delrin brand) pistons on a few previous builds. They are very low friction and work extremely well in aluminum cylinder blocks.

I have minor build questions: Is the 17T gear used on the crank shaft bored out .250" to fit the crank, or larger for a hub? Are there exact coordinates for the 25T intermediate gear, and how was it mounted?

A well deserved Karma point, and thanks again Charlie.

-MB

I turned the stub end of the crank down to .125 to fit the gear. I made a brass shoulder bolt for the intermediate gear to run on. I held the gear in place between the other two gears and spotted the location with a center punch. Drilled and tapped 5-40.

Charlie

Thanks so much for posting these beautiful John Deere plans!!!! This is a MUST BUILD. I was wondering how hard it would be to actually make it a true internal combustion engine. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thank you again.
Greg Knipp

Thanks for sharing!!! Nice engine... :bow: :bow: :bow:
Paolo

From my perspective, building an IC engine would add quite a bit of complexity. Also, the valving arrangement would have to be changed a lot.

The real charm of the compressed air version is that it can be run slowly and sounds like the full sized engine. IC engines in this size are very difficult to run slowly. They tend to run much faster and don't sound anything at all like the original.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back