Chemo

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmithDoor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
This not related to engines.

I had good news from my chemo doctor . I am good health and talked about doing chemo in my 80's . Great news I still in my 60's . Most do not know I have had stage 4 colan cancer in 2009.
Long time to build and good health

Dave

Glad to hear the good news.

My wife has gone through chemo and radiation in the last year, and is doing well so far.

The treatment process seems to have improved these days.

I have talked to two stage 4 friends who have been in remission for perhaps 12 years or more.

Good luck to you.

This not related to engines.

I had good news from my chemo doctor . I am good health and talked about doing chemo in my 80's . Great news I still in my 60's . Most do not know I have had stage 4 colan cancer in 2009.
Long time to build and good health

Dave
Having played sports most of my life fitness was always something I did a lot of . Now at 80 it’s helping with advanced age health . So far bone cancer is under control with two major doc near perfect responses to treatments blood pressure is well within acceptable heart rate responds quickly to exercise . Treatments have caused a big fatigue issue that is common side effect. Many get depressed at this but I simple don’t get depressed. As life long engineer I ask questions about everything the internet has become my portable library . There are a number of educational sites that you can join that have everything from grade school math to PHD level I wish this had been available when I was in school . I still remember terms an processes but this fatigue thing is a mystery. I just have lost the internal drive to do things. Knee and foot injuries have made getting around safely hard I use a cane with either hand so that helps . Working in the sop gave me great strength of grip , gotta hold on to things sometimes . Recent grip strength surprised me I still can squeeze with 100 pounds with either hand . Guess that why some avoid hand shake . It’s not medieval times anymore so really not necessary to show who is the bad guy any more. It was always funny to crush a right gander pitcher in the lineups after baseball games especially after driving his fast ball over the fence I was a relief pitcher noted as junk bal pitcher I had a variety of pitches and strong hands allowed a lot of spin on the ball so it moved correctly. I used to throw for hours in the bullpen pen.

Anyway I’m a believer in fitness . At this age you don’t have to do massive weights but a balanced routine is good . Even a simple walk is very good. I used to walk a 15 mile park path carrying two gallon jugs of water I thought if they got too heavy I could dump them out and toss the jug in the trash .

My sister is 73 and walks 10 miles every day. Ironically her job is pushing pencil in an office. She tripped an fell this last winter and broke the ball off upper arm now has titanium brace screwed in I was telling her abough Al sports I played in falling on the ground was part of then we learned to roll and not extend anything finger hands , nothing I’ve fallen dow my back steps three times and save injury but subconsciously saying roll don’t grab I broke my glasses rolling on them. Military taught us situation awareness so know where you are look for danger and how to avoid it . Sis says I’m too cautious over a million miles and no car crashes or traffic tickets

Anyway take care of yourself it’s the only one you have. Getting older is not easy but better than spending time in hospitals get all the med insurance you can it’s a lot cheaper than out of pocket . These cancer treatments are around 16 grand a month fortunstelyninsurance covers most of it .

At home I guard every corner using sports as needed

Having played sports most of my life fitness was always something I did a lot of . Now at 80 it’s helping with advanced age health . So far bone cancer is under control with two major doc near perfect responses to treatments blood pressure is well within acceptable heart rate responds quickly to exercise . Treatments have caused a big fatigue issue that is common side effect. Many get depressed at this but I simple don’t get depressed. As life long engineer I ask questions about everything the internet has become my portable library . There are a number of educational sites that you can join that have everything from grade school math to PHD level I wish this had been available when I was in school . I still remember terms an processes but this fatigue thing is a mystery. I just have lost the internal drive to do things. Knee and foot injuries have made getting around safely hard I use a cane with either hand so that helps . Working in the sop gave me great strength of grip , gotta hold on to things sometimes . Recent grip strength surprised me I still can squeeze with 100 pounds with either hand . Guess that why some avoid hand shake . It’s not medieval times anymore so really not necessary to show who is the bad guy any more. It was always funny to crush a right gander pitcher in the lineups after baseball games especially after driving his fast ball over the fence I was a relief pitcher noted as junk bal pitcher I had a variety of pitches and strong hands allowed a lot of spin on the ball so it moved correctly. I used to throw for hours in the bullpen pen.

Anyway I’m a believer in fitness . At this age you don’t have to do massive weights but a balanced routine is good . Even a simple walk is very good. I used to walk a 15 mile park path carrying two gallon jugs of water I thought if they got too heavy I could dump them out and toss the jug in the trash .

My sister is 73 and walks 10 miles every day. Ironically her job is pushing pencil in an office. She tripped an fell this last winter and broke the ball off upper arm now has titanium brace screwed in I was telling her abough Al sports I played in falling on the ground was part of then we learned to roll and not extend anything finger hands , nothing I’ve fallen dow my back steps three times and save injury but subconsciously saying roll don’t grab I broke my glasses rolling on them. Military taught us situation awareness so know where you are look for danger and how to avoid it . Sis says I’m too cautious over a million miles and no car crashes or traffic tickets

Anyway take care of yourself it’s the only one you have. Getting older is not easy but better than spending time in hospitals get all the med insurance you can it’s a lot cheaper than out of pocket . These cancer treatments are around 16 grand a month fortunstelyninsurance covers most of it .

At home I guard every corner using sports as needed
Thank you

I just learned something new yesterday phototoxicity. I been have the phototoxicity for a longer time. It is 5FU with UVA and UVB sunlight hitting your skin. It will make you sick. The doctor did in the being watch for sunburn. You can phototoxicity without the sunburn. So now I need to avoid sunlight 5 days after treatment.

Dave

Thank you

I just learned something new yesterday phototoxicity. I been have the phototoxicity for a longer time. It is 5FU with UVA and UVB sunlight hitting your skin. It will make you sick. The doctor did in the being watch for sunburn. You can phototoxicity without the sunburn. So now I need to avoid sunlight 5 days after treatment.

Dave
Interesting. I’ve avoided sunlight even playing sports I almost always wear summer long sleeve shirts. No shorts I don’t even go swimming much any more even though I was on swim teams through college . Welding was a source of bad light but I always wor leathers and good helmets gloves seldom got any weld burn I still wear auto dark sunglsss in the shop .

I have always avoided sunlight when I can, basically just to avoid sunburn and skin damage.

My wife and I were visiting a distant public park last year, and she was walking the dog while I watched a steam train operate.

My wife happened across a man walking his dog, and they chatted, and she said "that is my husband other there".
The man said "he must be an engineer; only engineers wear long pants and shirts in hot weather".

My wife said "well yes, actually he is an engineer".

That guy nailed it.
He is a very keen observer.

I guess I need to start going out in disguise, with shorts, short sleeve shirt, and heaven forbid a baseball cap.

Best of luck to all of you who have that dreaded, unfair affliction. Sometimes you can do everything right and it still gets you. If anyone has a family history of cancer, there are certain kinds that can be predicted by a genetic test. Then, sometimes, preemptive measures can be taken. My wife's mother died of breast cancer, although she somehow lived for 40 years (with surgeries, etc) after it was first discovered. My wife had a genetic test done and found out that she herself, did not have that cancer marker, which, of course was a major relief for us. It removed some of the unpredictability of cancer. We don't do well with unpredictability.

Anyway, back to the original post. Hang in there and keep your spirits up. You are doing amazingly well.

Sometimes, ant-idepressants should be part of a chemo regimen, but it seems most doctors don't suggest it. When you feel bad physically, feeling bad mentally is sure to follow. And that can usually be fixed. ( BentWings?? ;) )
Lloyd

The man said "he must be an engineer; only engineers wear long pants and shirts in hot weather".
My wife said "well yes, actually he is an engineer".

That guy nailed it.
He is a very keen observer.

I guess I need to start going out in disguise, with shorts, short sleeve shirt, and heaven forbid a baseball cap.

.(snipped for the salient points)
Yes, attire can be a dead giveaway, and as we get older, we can adopt a "who cares," attitude.
We have two 15 year old grand daughters who love to go out with my wife because they laugh and have a good time and she buys them stuff, and they can tell her anything and she understands and is not judgemental. She is the "Best Grammy in the whole world," LOL. BUT, and this is a biggie, last time they weer going out as a trio, one of the 15 YOs, said, GRAMMY! ARE THOSE JEGGINGS YOU ARE WEARING? OMG, THOSE ARE JEGGINGS!!! You can't wear those. You have to change." (Jeggings are stretchy jeans.)
Yes, clothing says a lot about you. Maybe you need a 15 YO to help you pick out appropriate attire. And boost your ego, LOL.

Best of luck to all of you who have that dreaded, unfair affliction. Sometimes you can do everything right and it still gets you. If anyone has a family history of cancer, there are certain kinds that can be predicted by a genetic test. Then, sometimes, preemptive measures can be taken. My wife's mother died of breast cancer, although she somehow lived for 40 years (with surgeries, etc) after it was first discovered. My wife had a genetic test done and found out that she herself, did not have that cancer marker, which, of course was a major relief for us. It removed some of the unpredictability of cancer. We don't do well with unpredictability.

Anyway, back to the original post. Hang in there and keep your spirits up. You are doing amazingly well.

Sometimes, ant-idepressants should be part of a chemo regimen, but it seems most doctors don't suggest it. When you feel bad physically, feeling bad mentally is sure to follow. And that can usually be fixed. ( BentWings?? ;) )
Lloyd
Your right the license engineers I new would wear long sleeves shirts even on job sit on a 110° day. I did engineer for my work but I like short sleeve shirts. Because it easy to wash after taking dimensions.

Dave

When the side effect fatigue sets in you surely could go into depression .
So far I’ve found my desire to just find out about things and look up things eve just being part of forums like this highlights the day . I read constantly even though eyesight is poor. Not being able to do shop things or even toss baseball or foot ball with grand kids is frustrating . Just thinking about the situation can lead to depression. Thankfully I’ve seemed to dropped the word from vocabulary .

When the side effect fatigue sets in you surely could go into depression .
So far I’ve found my desire to just find out about things and look up things eve just being part of forums like this highlights the day . I read constantly even though eyesight is poor. Not being able to do shop things or even toss baseball or foot ball with grand kids is frustrating . Just thinking about the situation can lead to depression. Thankfully I’ve seemed to dropped the word from vocabulary .
I am not to mush in shop .
Fatigue is a problem I have doing chemo on and off since 2009. Now doing smaller projects. I just designed and built a transistor vacuum tube voltmeter. Some parts had to be machined.

Dave

Back