Casting with Birk

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kactiguy

Reaction score
My boys (and one nephew) had a great experience the other day. Birk (oldmechthings) offered to show us the casting process first hand. He has 40 years of experience so we were in good hands. He had many patterns that he had made over the years and he let us choose a few to cast. He let us make some flywheels for our finger engine, a couple civil war canon wheels, a little hit and miss static display model (for my five year old to put together) and some big skeleton keys. He let the kids ram up the molds themselves. I was one of those kids. It was a neat experience. One that none of us will soon forget. Here are some photos and a video.

Birk's homemade forge and my boys posing as we set up.
IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3341-1.jpg

The sandbox
IMG_3343.jpg

Ramming up the molds
IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg

Two duffers
IMG_3365.jpg

Removing the casts
IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

IMG_3384-1.jpg

And the final product...
IMG_3387.jpg

Here is some video
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H48m0BiK7yg[/ame]

Here is what the flywheel will be used for:
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=2187.msg18016;topicseen#new

Great post and great video! I'm going to watch that at least a few more times! ;D

nice post.

those are some detailed looking and thin section castings - without preheating the mold, I guess the secret to preventing the AL from freezing up to soon is getting the metal itself hot enough.

Birk,

I have to congratulate you most sincerely.

If only a lot more people with your vast knowledge and experience would just take the time with the younger generation, the world would be a much better place.

I am sure, by your actions, you enjoyed it as much as the kids.

Thank you.

The casting process looked great, but sadly it must be a thing I never try, except for a bit of lead.

John

is the casting process lots of money? to keep the forge going?

I would love to eventually get into castings. nice vid! looks like everyone had a blast

that was a very good video :bow: :bow:

i hope you and your boys realize just how lucky you are to have birk as friend/mentor.
this kind of friendship is truly priceless.

i would have to agree with bog that birk indeed looked like he had a great time.

birk if you are still looking for some things to do i sure would like as set of the little gas engine castings ;) :D ;D

chuck

Just Brilliant 8)

Looks like all the kids had a great day .............. all 4 that is ;D ............. Birk :bow: sharing your experience is wonderful, and Kactiguy and son's ...... it's good you have someone so talented within reach, if you enjoy the time as much as I've enjoyed your post your gonna lean loads ;)

CC ................... (a very envious CC ::) :eek: ;) )

Thanks for the video.I'm sure the kids enjoyed the process as much as I enjoyed watching.Birk is making this look soooooooo easy :D.
And thanks to Birk for showing us all.
Hans.

Man what I would give to attend this amusement park. :big:
I think we should all ban together and get Birk his own how to T.V. show. Like This Old House or New Yankee Workshop , but for metal working. :bow: :bow: :bow:
Tim

I'm speechless...

There are not a lot of people who can do THAT to me.

Birk your skills and experience are treasurers in themselves.
Seeing your willingness too pass those things along to the generations
is what I'd dreamed this forum would become.

Thank You!
Please keep posting!!!

Rick

Coolest video I've seen in a long time!

But man, I have so many questions:

- You make it look so easy, and the parts came out so nice. Is it really that easy?

- There have to be some key points of learning. Where do I go to learn them?

- Where can I get furnace plans for a similar furnace?

- I saw aluminum. I assume it'll do brass. Will it also do cast iron?

- Knowing nothing about casting and molds, I've heard terms like "green sand". I assume you're using special sand, hence the sand box. Where can I learn more about all that?

The list of questions goes on.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

BW

A master at work, thanks for the posting, but next time Dad, P L E A S E get the youngest to wear safer shoes, I know It's not industry but digits never grow back.
Regards Ian.

great photo story and video!

BobWarfield said:
Coolest video I've seen in a long time!

But man, I have so many questions:

- You make it look so easy, and the parts came out so nice. Is it really that easy?

- There have to be some key points of learning. Where do I go to learn them?

- Where can I get furnace plans for a similar furnace?

- I saw aluminum. I assume it'll do brass. Will it also do cast iron?

- Knowing nothing about casting and molds, I've heard terms like "green sand". I assume you're using special sand, hence the sand box. Where can I learn more about all that?

The list of questions goes on.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

BW

Well I have listed a large number of books on foundry and casting and related arts here.http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=84.0
It goes from page 3 thru page 4 to topic 62.0
Listed are the most popular on the subject you can find easily.
and don't forget to check here to see is a library near you has them or others.http://worldcat.org/

Thanks for all of the comments. I am really glad I know Birk. He is much more than a great craftsman, but he is also a great friend and example.

I wish I could answer the questions about casting stuff. I just don't know enough. What I can say is that it is much easier than I thought it would be. Easy and fun. It seems so complicated, but it's not. Birk said "I do not know what the big deal is, casting is nothing new. The Chinese were doing it thousands of years ago."

Here is a photo of the finished toy engine my youngest son cast. He had to drill and tap a couple holes with a little help from dad, but he did most of the work himself. You can see how complex it is in the second photo.
IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3386_2.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTimCR_2ghk[/ame]

well there you go Kactig..............another award winning video and pics !!!!!!!!!!!
i don't know if i have ever seen a better pic than the one of your little guy holding HIS engine ;D

that pic is priceless and now i really want one of those engines :'( :big:

thanks for sharing in your great adventure

chuck

Guy
It's been a long day here and I've been a little cranky with the heat
and work load.

Those pics and the video just made all of that disappear. ;D

Thanks for the post!

Rick

That was one of the best post ever!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I could watch someone do a casting like that!!!! :bow:

That was great.
I'm hoping within the next year (or two) to set myself up to do some very basic casting.
He made it all look so easy there. Thanks for posting it.

I have the patterns for a 'Wells' stationary engine and the smokebox for his mobile and I'm hoping by the time I'm ready to cast I will have the wheel patterns too.

For those that are not familiar with Kenneth Wells book it was printed in the 70s to be used in high school metalwork classes and the students could make a stationary engine or a mobile similar to a Mamod TE. Considering it was written for 14 to 17 year olds it was a big achievement that so many students finished them as at my current skill level I reckon I would still struggle with some of it.
If anyone wants to know more just let me know and I will do a post on it.

Back