Casting with Birk

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great work. thanks for the pics and video. :)anyone who has a gas blow torch (full flame) 2 150mm flower pots and 2 4 lit . empty metal paint tins, can make a small furnance and get started. :) (not for brass but ideal for aluminium,zinc alloys(mazak) lead ect. up to 800 deg.)

:bow: :bow: AWESOME POSTS :bow: :bow:

I think you have piqued that little guy's interest now in metal working ! Another one falls to the dark side of metalwork/machinging 8)

How but info about the casting sand and other supplies. I worked at a foundry for a bit, but I don't know where I can get the materials for making the sand.

I think it is great that your boys got to see how it is done and to get to see the finished product. Keep it up dad.

I haven't done any casting yet but I am slowly gathering supplies for the day I start.
I got my bentonite from one of my contractrs. It is used with water as a slurry for directional drilling. That is drill shots under roads for comms and power cables.
If you see a team on the side of the road speak nicely to them.
I think farmers also use it to line dams so you may be able to get bentonite from a farming supply shop.

Hi

Bentonite is also used in wine making ;), so you might get some from a home-winemaker supplier... no idea if they would have it in a quantity/cost ratio reasonable for the amounts required. (Especially since I have no idea how much is required for the making of green sand). Add me to the list of those who want to try out this casting thing one day...

Cheers, Joe

If you don't want to mess with mixing up your own sand, you can buy a product called petrobond. It's an oil/sand mix that's used in metal casting. I've used it for years, still working on a 100lb drum that I bought 5 or 6 years ago from Porter Warner. Very easy to use, although it does smoke a bit when you pour the casting. You can re-use all but the burn sand next to the casting.

http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/Jupiter_Blend_Foundry_Sand.php

Chuck

It's also used here in the States in cat litter. See this article: http://www.gizmology.net/greensand.htm for an explanation, and follow the links to his home made ball mill. The Gizmologist (Bill, really nice guy) and I used to chat over the tank project. He built a small Sherman (Tommy Cooker to you Brits) for his son.

I have to agree with Chuck on the use of Petrobond or similar sand. It gets rid of 2/3's of the variables for the beginner. It is more expensive than green sand, but 25 pounds is enough for lots of small castings, say up to a 0.60 CID crankcase. One of the primary advantages for model engine builders is that it is ready to go and does not dry out. Green sand is great for people who want to do larger castings, or for someone whose hobby is casting. But, if you only cast occasionally, green sand dries out and has to be re-tempered with water. If you are beginning, getting the right clay/sand mix and the right amount of water you is an art in it's self. After you have done it a few times, or had someone show you, then it is not much of a problem, but the learning curve on your own is hard to get past.

I have bought from Budget casting several time for several items and they provide good service. Their prices may look a little bit high, but the prices all include shipping in the lower 48 states.

There are lots of hobby casting sites on the internet. Most of them have more to do with larger castings, and like most internet information there is as much mis-information as good information. You have to read between the lines on a lot of it.

One place to start is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/castinghobby/

By following the links on it you can find information on most any kind of casting you want to do.

Gail in NM,USA

Excellent post! I really must get into casting, its just that theres so much to do and so little time! But I shall get to it one day.

Back