Calling it a Day, "Now What?"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack.39

Reaction score
When the shop activity is closed down for the day, what do you usually pursue, in order to not be 100% wrapped up in your work?

Anyone like a nice, cold beer?

jack

Jack,
I just knew there was something I liked about ya! Salute!

Tony

Beer,naaa. Call me what you like but I'd go for a nice cup of tea followed by a spot of tiffin :big:

jack.39 said:
Anyone like a nice, cold beer?

jack

Yes if you're buying... :D

I generally chill with one after spending time in the garage...especially if it hasnt gone well...

Yeah, 20 years ago a cold beer (or several) at the end of the day was routine and much anticipated. However, I've reached the age where one beer kind of muddles my brain, then makes me feel like crap for several hours. As much as I love it, I've pretty much given it up!

Chuck

A beer in the Ozarks? Sure!
I'll be there come May for Mom's B-day.
No Coors please...awful memories when you could only get it by driving into OK.
Red/White/Blue is okay!
I'm cheap.

Obviously, some enjoy a beer now & then. If you drink American domestic beer, like Butt-Wiper, or Curs, be aware, please, that U.S. FDA allows something like 52 differenct chemicals, additives, in commercially-produced beer. To my knowledge, only ONE country, Germany, has a law forbidding use of anything other than the 4 basic ingredients: water, malt, hops, & yeast. Ever taste a Becks or St. Pauli Girl? IMO, the absolute BEST you can buy.

There is a better than those best, however. Make your own, as I do. Fun, reasonable cost, and with that, the assurance of knowing exactly what has gone into the brew!

Now, since digression away from model-making is frowned upon, I must explain that the process of working and toiling in our shops at our hobby pursuits must be accompanied by a process of R & R which is an intimate part of the modelling work.......................therefore the applicability of this thread! jack

Damn, I read this this too late in the evening!
I'd drive over for a free cold one, but if I were seen staggering to
the Jeep at this time of night....

I guess it's best to stay here and have at my own. LOL

Rick

hmmmmm... single father of 2 daughters, large house and block, race cars, own and operate a small business.... hmmm ..... what do I ususally pursue? Are you kidding? Time for pursuing what?

Oh beer.... yeah well, isnt that just part of the culture here? Slab of beer and a bucket of prawns... thats breakfast.... dont get me started on lunch ;D

Most days I have no choice. Between 4:30 and 5PM, my dog Pearl drags me out of the shop and we play ball for as long as I can take it. In the summer, it may last an hour followed by a swim and a cold beer (for me, Pearls too young), but today we were both frozen in about fifteen minutes. I still had a cold beer.

Jerry

I have a small library of books that I read from. I'm always putting new books(new to me) in it, so I doubt I'll ever read them all. As for alcohol. I'm with Chuck and Bob. WAY to much of the stuff when I was younger, and for the last 7 years absolutely NONE of the stuff. I don't miss it, or the hangovers either. ;)

Besides I've got a complete electronics shop along side my newly aquired metal working machines. I'm not lacking for distraction. I'm lacking for enough hours in a day. :big:

Kermit

Kermit said:
I'm not lacking for distraction. I'm lacking for enough hours in a day. :big:

Kermit

Amen to that!

Bill C.

Being a Brandy, (well almost any alcoholic spirit except Aftershave ;)) and Diet Coke drinker, Why are you all Hopping around. ??? ???

A lot of beer in Siberia is sold in bulk from small sidewalk/footpath booths with a bring your own container modus operandi. In the winter, when the container is filled the proud owner takes off like a bat out of hell to get it home before it freezes. :eek: Vodka on the other hand does not freeze at these temperatures so can be enjoyed in the snow whilst watching the beer drinkers hop around.

Beer, as my uncle was want to say, is a "Steak and Eggs" in every glass. Surely that can't be bad. ???

Best Regards
Bob

My beer days may be over but not my Captain Morgan Parrot Coconut Rum with Coke Zero days. ;D

There is no beer except homebrew... Gee, another hobby to eat up our time! (But at least then we know what the additives are, :p unlike with Curs (I really like that designation btw) and the other FDA approved ones.)

I like beer with the right meal. Wine too for that matter, LOL.

If I'm just relaxing on the deck, I prefer a cocktail, a liquer, or perhaps a fine small batch bourbon. It just depends on the weather, the mood, and the pleasure of the company.

CubaBobCigar.jpg

(Relaxing poolside in Havana with a Montecristo #2 and the first Mojito I ever drank.)

Cheers,

BW

Homebrew, especially in the last 10 or 15 years, is definitely the best. Fun to make and experiment with. In my earliest beer making days, before they had all these fancy beermaking products, I used hop flavored Blue Ribbon malt extract, bread yeast, and plain old sugar, all available from the local supermarket. Wasn't the best beer in the world, but it was cheap and you could make it as strong as you wanted. The rule in my house was, "Where you fall is where you sleep".

Chuck

Back