Buying involute gear cutters

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gus,
I'm watching the gear cutting and appreciate your posting. I'd like to buy the CTC set of cutters but I contacted them about getting the proper arbor to hold the cutters and they don't supply them. Where did you find the abors to go with these cutters?

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Phil,

The Arbors were DIYed using Grade 5 Hex Bolt.
Grade 5 does not cut well when turned dry.I used Tapmatic Tapping Fluid applied in dobs with a tiny brush. The fastener to secure cutter and spacer to arbor is M6 Hex. Did not provide for keying cutter to arbor.

Gus.

Hi Gus,
Thanks for your advice. I caught your other thread about "Poor Man's Dividing Head" where you made the arbor and I was wondering about whether you keyed it.

I'm about to go where you were about 1 month ago...buying the cutters from CTC this week. Making gears seems like a nice thing to do.

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Gus, I was intending to engrave the cutters with a diamond coated bit or a fine pointed mounted point in my dremel.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Good idea. Might try doing same.
I have a cheapy China Rotary Endraver. Will look for a diamong coated bit in at Tokyu Hands,Osaka. Taking my better half there for a cheapy holiday.
Nowadays even regular airlines like SIA would have special offers cheaper than budget airlines if you out on frequent bargain hunting. Osaka ** and ***
hotel room rates are cheap basis you book on the net.

Meanwhile all set to stamp number "4" on the very first arbor mounted gear cutter.

Hi Gus,
Thanks for your advice. I caught your other thread about "Poor Man's Dividing Head" where you made the arbor and I was wondering about whether you keyed it.

I'm about to go where you were about 1 month ago...buying the cutters from CTC this week. Making gears seems like a nice thing to do.

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Phil,

I got away w/o keying it but I did put Loctite on the mating faces for some cheapy assurance. Did help for now. Backup would drill into arbor and put a pin. Not so sure I get away with Module 1.0 cutters.

Hi..can you still purchase electric engravers...12 volt.....i have had one for years and it works fine for marking any hard material...especially those taps that you cant read after using them a few times....Wayne

Latest posts

Back