Building my "Radford Red Deere" Finished w/ Video

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shoot man.. I don't know what you were concerned about, MB. This little beauty runs great! Looks fabulous too. First rate, from what I see in the pics. And thanks for the video!

Dean

Perfect! Don't think you could ask for better.

Chuck

Thank you!
I can't say why...but I really wanted to see those gears on the side turn.
I love the sound of these engines running.
Thanks again for the post.

you have something to be proud not only the finished product but how it was made that is neat, thanks for showing the progress, I appreciate what you have done for us in sharing, Lathe Nut

Nice engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just love that slow J D sound

I've mentioned this before, but will bring it up again.

The syncopated beat of this engine, which sounds so neat, is because the engine "fires" twice in one revolution then skips one entire revolution. This makes equalizing the air pressure to both cylinders very difficult.

The amount of air pressure that builds up in the line is greater during the skipped revolution than between the two firings. This results in one cylinder hitting "harder" than the second. You can mitigate this affect somewhat by adjusting the lead cylinder rocker arm clearance to a thicker setting so the valve doesn't open as far or stay open as long.

From the video, it kind of looks like you may have already done this.

Chuck

cfellows said:
I've mentioned this before, but will bring it up again.

The syncopated beat of this engine, which sounds so neat, is because the engine "fires" twice in one revolution then skips one entire revolution. This makes equalizing the air pressure to both cylinders very difficult.

The amount of air pressure that builds up in the line is greater during the skipped revolution than between the two firings. This results in one cylinder hitting "harder" than the second. You can mitigate this affect somewhat by adjusting the lead cylinder rocker arm clearance to a thicker setting so the valve doesn't open as far or stay open as long.

From the video, it kind of looks like you may have already done this.

Chuck

Chuck, you are correct and I agree. I did a little fiddling and adjusting last night. The length of the valve opening (firing) on the first cylinder is reduced using the adjusting screw on the rocker, and the length (firing) on the second cylinder was increased.

It now runs dead slow on 7 to 8 lbs (pressure gauge bounce) , and faster than before on 35 lbs air. A big improvement over the video run. The previous range was 15 lbs to 25 lbs. Unlike the "single" there is more friction during free wheeling due to the twin cylinder and double crank. And having a larger bore and stroke than many of my previous builds requiring a higher running pressure for the JD. :eek:

I'm feeling much better about the way this build turned out. It's defiantly a welcome and interesting addition to my collection! ;D

By focusing on one part at a time it was not at all that difficult to build. ;)

Thanks for all the help Chuck. :bow:

-MB

Latest posts

Back