Building Elmer's #46 rotary

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's going to be great for conversations.
Nicely done. A great thread too with many tips and helpful hints.
For whatever reason it reminds me of a gnome or wankel engine.
That is a really neat engine.

Well done!! Mom said to tell you it sounds like her embroidery machine, and it looks very good
Dad

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: so that another engine under your belt ::) Arnold ;D ;D ;D

Stunning mate th_confused0052 :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Looooooooooooks great on that base ,, top job Thm:

Regards Rob

Edit : Even Julie is impressed ;D

Well done, Arnold. Well done, indeed.

It's such a goofy design, I'm amazed that it works at all. It's a testament to your workmanship. Given its goofiness, I would expect it to be very sensitive to any design "departures".

I had missed this thread up until today.

So had I, now I've had to pull down the plans and add it to the TUDU list.

Great Job Arnold!!!

Well Done Thm:

I like the way it sounds. This is a very neat engine. Incredible design.

Looks like it could do a little damage if a stray finger got in there.

Kel

That is a fantastic piece of work Arnold, well done indeed. Thanks for taking us along on the 'journey to nowhere' (you know it never ends don't you :big:) Truly a work of art. What is did you say the wood for the base was? Is it an 'exotic' or a fairly commonly used species? It has the appearance of Pear almost, except a closer grain.

Thm: Thm: Thm:
BC1
Jim

Arnold,

Great build.

Your engine looks great and sounds good too.

Congatulations for a job well done.

SAM

Congratulations on a great build and thread, Arnold.
Gail in NM

Arnold, Congratulations on another great build. Thank you for sharing all with us. Larry1

Kevin, Thanks! - yes, I'm surprised that it goes down that slow :eek:!

Thank you Bogs. I'll run it in some more, but somehow I doubt this one will end up running on breath power like my other little engines...

Dean, many thanks!

Thanks Carl - now you've given me an idea... I might just try a "true" steam-powered Wankel at some stage; that would be a major challenge!

Dad, Thank you ;D - :big: now that you mention it, it does sound a bit like Mom's embroidery machine!

Rof} Rob, thanks mate ;D - it beats making tool shelves ::) - Now, don't tell anybody what I have in mind next! - And thanks to J as well :)

Thanks Marv :) - It is a bit goofy, and it does not really produce a lot of power... I actually departed a bit from the original plans with the thickness of the cam ring and sizes of the axles, so there is a bit of leeway; one just have to think about the changes. I think the cam profile is one area where a departure from design would be a no-no though.

Tel, go right ahead and add it to the TUDU :) - It's fun and challenging to build!

Thanks Kel. Fortunately there's not a lot of place for a finger in there - and it stops dead without hurting ;) - and then you spend an hour to straighten the bent connecting rod :big:

Jim, thank you :) - the wood is Rhodesian Teak; an indigenous species to "Central Southern Africa" for a lack of better description. Pretty tough and hard; it really plays havoc with a new sharp jigsaw blade!

Thanks kvom - Do finish yours!

Sam, Thank you!

Thank you Gail - and also for your technical assistance :)

Thanks Larry1!

Regards, Arnold

Cleaned shop and made new mill selector handles today ;D ;D ;D :
normal_IMG_1494.JPG

Great build and write up Arnold.

I enjoyed following the thread.

Stew

I very much enjoyed your build log Arnold. And the engine turned out fantastic.

This is also on my list of future projects.

Eric

Kick A** engine!

Everyone who has been putting off building that one is twitching in their seats right now...

Great job!

Chris

Stew, thank you ;D

Thanks Eric :) - better watch that list; it grows exponentially, especially if you throw in some toolmaking as well ;D

Thanks very much Chris ;D - I'm tempted to try and modify the goofed parts to make another one; but that will be at a later date; this coming weekend is fully booked, and then I have some tools to make after that...

Regards, Arnold

Arnold

I'm not sure how I let this get so far along without jumping in to at least say "Hi", but now I save all that trouble and get say well done project, that man! I quite like that engine, I've got the start of one sitting on the bench that I will get back to one of these days....

Cheers, Joe

Thanks very much Joe ;D - it seems there are a couple of unfinished ones around!

Kind regards, Arnold

Back