British 0-4-0 Toy Locomotive: he said

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay then; "Mister" Tutu. (Have it your way, sport).
Things seem to be livened up a tad, so I got rid of all that junk cluttering up your nice little thread.

You know, putting me in the same class as someone who owes you beer is hitting below the... tutu.
An' I'll tell you another thing or two, too;
No... I'll save it for later.

Now, I've got work to do. There are other nice people here that I haven't harassed for far too long.

Dean,
one of the knights who says "neener".

Zee, that little loco is looking great sitting there on the track :bow:

;D - a different perspective on tutu... In Afrikaans we have a saying "toe toe" which which is pronounced exactly the same as tutu - and it means "hurry up & get a move on" ;)

Kind regards, Arnold

Was that your boot Arnold? Ow. ;D (And thanks for the compliment.)

Dean...that wasn't nice putting goodies (it wasn't junk) in my thread and then taking them away. You're still on my crumbs list. ;D

Surly you don't want 'em back?
It was just a tease/taunt for one of the best/good-natured tutu men on the forum.

Dean

Deanofid said:
for one of the best/good-natured tutu men on the forum.

So it's only the tutu that sets me apart from the rest of you?
We can fix that!
Care to join and increase the group? :big:
I saw your photo. We might wear the same size!

And thanks.

No thanks, fella. Would probably give a guy a rash.

Besides, rumor is you wear it so well..

Dean

Metal Butcher said:
Oh brother. Why did I click on this.

For you seek truth and, as your signature says...

"In Constant Pursuit of Perfection"

Is the problem color? Do you just need help choosing a color? Nah...can't be that...you choose well for your engines. Must be the material. I have the same problem. Maybe we can get Dean to offer up some helpful opinion.

P.S. Right outfit but wrong gender and age. You need to look for 'manly-tutus'. Marv knows what to look for...
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=8152.30

zeeprogrammer said:
For you seek truth and, as your signature says...

"In Constant Pursuit of Perfection"

Is the problem color? Do you just need help choosing a color? Nah...can't be that...you choose well for your engines. Must be the material. I have the same problem. Maybe we can get Dean to offer up some helpful opinion.

P.S. Right outfit but wrong gender and age. You need to look for 'manly-tutus'. Marv knows what to look for...
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=8152.30

Thanks Zee, but I'll pass on the 'help'. My costume of choice is motorcycle riding gear. I play the role of a tough road warrior riding his Iron horse. 8)

The only problem I have is visualizing how you must look in your Tutu. My friends and I would really like to see you in person and wearing it, drop on by real soon. There is usually about 3000 (three thousand) of us that get together, so I'm sure you'll make at least a few new friends, and be the center of attention. We meet on Wednesday's at the following location. When you walk in just yell out loudly, "I'm here to see the Butcher," and start singing "Who stole the Kishka." (Kishka is a type of sausage). You'll get the 'Royal' treatment, and I assure you that it will be a memorable occasion! ;D

P.S. Also, I'm glad you and Marvin share the same passion, and I'm happy for the both of you! ;)

http://www.quakersteakandlube.com/qsl/promotions_events.cfm

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG0vNhWf7ks[/ame]

-MB

Zee, don't you dare change your avatar,that is what you are and you can't change it.I remember when I was that age,you look the sensible sort of kid that I could have been mates with :). Good thread.Watching closely ...

Metal Butcher said:
and I assure you that it will be a memorable occasion!

For who? The bikers? Or that smear in the middle of the road? :big: If they're all like you MB...no problem.

As for visualizing...I have an idea...I can take Dean's picture...and a pic of the tutu...and....

Thanks 'johnthefish'. I see that's your second post. Did I miss the first? In any case...welcome to the forum. Please don't take this thread as representative of the fine workmanship of this forum. ;D

Speaking of 'thread'...does anyone remember what this one is about?

Anybody remember where we were? Let's see...
bikers...tutus...M&Ms...rashes...Ah! must be machining...

17b48172.jpg

Managed to make the cylinders.

Not a great weekend...fell down the stairs for the 3rd time last Thursday. I really need to figure out a way to convince her I should move my shop from the basement to the living room. (Keep your own suggestions, like "Don't fall", to yourselves.)

Was fine until Friday when my back realized what had happened.
Getting up is painful but once up and about I'm okay.
Was a real lousy Saturday. Because of my misdeeds last year (I let the garden go to seed when wife went on assignment) I had promised to help prep the garden this year. This made the back even unhappier and the recently operated on knee made it's unhappiness known as well.

I'd probably be fine with all this if I knew the cylinders were good. But I suspect my tailstock is not true and the holes will be tapered.

Well we'll see. Oh I know how I can feel better! I'll increase my intake of M&Ms...which is another way of saying...I'll disregard certain persons' advice. :big:

zeeprogrammer said:
Not a great weekend...fell down the stairs for the 3rd time last Thursday. I really need to figure out a way to convince her I should move my shop from the basement to the living room. (Keep your own suggestions, like "Don't fall", to yourselves.)

Quit drinking.

zeeprogrammer said:
Well we'll see. Oh I know how I can feel better! I'll increase my intake of M&Ms...which is another way of saying...I'll disregard certain persons' advice. :big:

Start drinking.

;D

ksouers said:
Quit drinking.

Rof} Rof} Rof}

Did you say quit breathing?

I should probably give a few more details...

The first time I fell was when we moved into the house 15 years ago. It was dark, I took a right turn thinking I was walking into the foyer. At the bottom of the stairs the thought process was...
1) What happened?
2) Am I hurt?
3) Idiot.
The second time was last year shortly after I built up the shop in the basement. Daughter came home with a cat. I was trying to go downstairs and quickly closing the door so the cat wouldn't come downstairs. That time I knew what was happening so the thought process was...
1) Am I hurt?
2) Idiot.
The third time I was rushing to get on the forum before I had to go to work...
1) Idiot.

I'm sure you all see the theme.

Rof} Rof} Rof}

Am glad you are OK Zeep', and be careful with that knee, you don't want to screw it up really bad this time around. What is it that makes you think the cylinders have a taper?

BC1
Jim

Man oh man, Zee. Getting to the shop has turned out more dangerous than all the sharp bits in the shop. Take it easy, there. Maybe remove that tutu too, so you can see your feet going down the stairs. Try a leotard.

Now, those cylinders sure do look the part, and very nice! I take it you reamed them? Probably just fine.

Dean

Kermit said:
Yeah! You need a house without any stairs!

Not so far fetched! It's an important part of discussion with wife about next house. But we're both from the midwest...and a house without a basement is like a ship without a lifeboat. Even though we now live in Pennsylvania where they think these little dust-devils are tornadoes. :big:

bearcar1 said:
be careful with that knee, you don't want to screw it up really bad this time around. What is it that makes you think the cylinders have a taper?

Thanks Jim.

Well for one...the previous cylinders I've made (3) have exhibited a taper where the piston is loose at one end but tighter at the other. For another, after I center drill and then drill, the drill seems off center...you can see how it moves into the hole made by the center drill.

I've checked the true-ness with dead centers...I think the tailstock is a tad high. I'm not sure what I can do about that. It's a mini-lathe and I don't see a way to shim the headstock. Trimming the tailstock is beyond my skill set. I also suspect some sideways off-center. When I got my lathe I checked with an indicator and chucking reamer...but that was before I knew anything at all about what I was doing.

Another area of concern is the mounting of the lathe. It's bolted to a table I built. I'm wondering if I bolted it such that I've stressed the ways.

Lot's to look at.

Dean! I see you posted while I was typing. Well here's a picture for you...I wasn't in my tutu. It was first thing in the morning...I was carrying my first cup of coffee...and I was still in my pajamas (aka whites ;D and now that you know what I look like...ain't that a pretty picture?)

I did ream the the cylinders. In fact I'm wondering how I can polish them...or whether I need to.

[EDIT: You still trying to get me out of my tutu?]

zeeprogrammer said:
after I center drill and then drill, the drill seems off center...you can see how it moves into the hole made by the center drill.

I get that a lot using my mini mill and have yet to figure out why that is. I'm thinking maybe the drill bit I follow up with doesn't have the point ground to center? In any case, once tilted into the center drilled hole it will drill at a slight angle which is frustrating.

Those cylinders sure look nice there, Zee-Meister.

-Trout

Back