Briggs & Stratton 6S - A Beginnig

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill,

I've been a bit quiet lately but just thought I'd chime in with another wow, every component it just so good, when you start the final build it will be just like assembling a real engine if you know what I mean - model ones are usually simplified to some degree but it's amazing to see such a good replica being built.

This is actually one of the few topics I'm watching now on HMEM, it takes up too much time and never have time to do anything of my own! So to you and everyone else that takes the time to do the write ups well done, it's not as trivial as some may think, it takes time.

Can't wait to see and hear it running!

:bow:

Thanks guys! Yes its been a long time i know...not that the build if that complex, just too many things seem to get in the way at times, not that they are all bad of course. But it is getting closer I promise. The support here has been invaluable and I am thankful for all that have followed along and posted comment, suggestons and questions.

More to follow soon.

Bill

WOW! I can't believe it. I haven't checked your progress in awhile. Man that looks awesome! This may have been covered in an earlier post, but how are you going to install the magnets in the flywheel so it will be timed? What about the coil? Are you planning on making one?

Craig, I will be using a CDI system with a hall effect sensor rather than the original magneto system. Am on vacation this week so more progress will be posted next week.

Chaffe,
Wish I had more to report...since returning from vacation things at work have had to take precedence unfortunately. The lab renovations which were to be finished by Aug 15 and now looking more like Sept 19 or later. Meanwhile school is back in full session for the last two weeks as well. Will be getting some smallet things done over the long weekend but still have a couple of things to finish up on the crankcase before assembly can begin. The project is very much alive and well, and I thank you for asking.

Bill

With apologies to those of you that have been following the build. As previously reported work and other duties have been consuming virtually all my time of late but the good news is that the light at the end of the tunnel is visible again, renovations are complete and most things are back finally in their old or newly renovated places, including the four new mills and one additional 13x40 lathe in the schools machine shop and it really looks good. I have not been posting much but have been trying to keep up with numerous threads as time permits. The little Briggs is inching its way back to the front burner again as this busy semester comes to a close. My duties next semester will focus more on the prototyping phases of many senior design projects which bodes well for much additional shop time both in supervising their shop time and setting aside some for myself as well. The project is still very much alive and well and the final push to completion is nearly at hand. Thanks to all of you that have checked and I hope you will bear with me.

Regards,
Bill

Finally some time to get back on this and begin the push to the end. The pictures below show the drilling and reaming for the valve cages (photos 1 & 2) and below that the coaxial holes for the tappet guides (photo 3). Photo 4 shows connecting the bores of the inlet and exhaust ports to the holes where the valve cages will be.

Crankcase 001.jpg

Crankcase 002.jpg

Crankcase 003.jpg

Crankcase 004.jpg

Following that in the next two photos, an undercut had to be machined into the outer wall of one crankcase end to provide clearance for the bolt head. Though not shown this was also done on the full size engine crankcase casting for the same reason. Finally for today, the last picture shows the crankcase breather assembly in place after a hole was located and drilled from the underside of the crankcase cavity. Now If I can just stop losing that pesky little spring!!

Crankcase 005.jpg

Crankcase 006.jpg

Crankcase 007.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this one run. Outstanding work as usual :bow: :bow:
Brock

Still with you, Bill. Always good to see this one pop up.

One of the last major and worrysome tasks on the crankcase is done now and that was carving our the inside area where the camshaft and gear fit. This was pretty inaccessible and largely at a right angle to the bottom opening. And the last thing I wanted to do was break through somewhere especially at this point. Anyway, with a LOT of Dremel work trial fits it got done and just need a bit of polishing up to smooth things out some. Getting closer now!!

Crankcase 008.jpg

Crankcase 009.jpg

Latest posts

Back