BIG PLANS

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I have Punch Cad, only mastered the 2D part of it so far. And just put DROs on both the mill and lathe. Man thanks for helping me make up my mine. I sure I have tons of Questions for ya by the end of this.

Well here we go........Its go time........Engine shop is OPEN!!

Matt....lol

I have machines similar to yours. A year ago I scaled up a HasBrouck mill engine by 1.5x. Smallest screws on it are 10-32. It weighs about 55 lbs. The original engine with a 1" bore called for a 6" flywheel. My scaleup with a 1.5" bopre also has a 6" flywheel and this engine runs very slow if I want - 40 rpm. I posted a video sometime back with it running. So as its been said, make it a little thicker to make up for the mass and it'll run fine. I think you can take any good design and scale it up just by multiplying all the dimensions accordingly BUT take into consideration some clearance dimensions don't need magnification. For example an eccentric strap riding on an eccentric might have 0.010" of clearance on its width. The same clearance will work even if you scale up. Have fun

Cheers,
Phil

Have a look at the ray hasbrouck site ,i like his engines they are on the BIg side and all barstock based,i am building the #10 on a 11" harrison and a tom senior mill ,you would have no worries with a 9" lathe .
Adaptions to parts to the material you have to hand also seems quite possible which keeps the costs down .Hope that helps............................

1hand said:
Tel

Ok but if you have a 1/2" bore with a 5" fly wheel. Now you scale it up to a 1" bore, do you have to have a 10" fly wheel in order for it to function. Or can you get by with a 8"? And differences between different kinds of metal.

I used 4" flywheels on my little hit&miss, and it's packing 1.250" bore and 1.750" stroke. I guess the mass is great enough to let it work, though I would like to upgrade to some spoked flywheels someday.

CMS,
I have some 1" x 8" steel flatbar I think I'm going to use for the fly wheel. That should be plenty beefy enough I think. Thanks for the info.

Matt

Hey Matt, I'll be watching this one. I think I like some of the bigger models better? I have some friends that are into full sized engines. They have a Case 15 horse (I think) portable steam engine. I'm planing on a couple of projects that it will run at their next show.

I took a lot of Elmers Engine plans and doubled, and tripled them in size a my Turbocad program. May I say, it cost me around $100, but it was well worth the money. I timed myself at drawing #16baldy off of the site to double and triple it in size, and it only took a half an hour. Great program! Worth trying.

Wes

Wes, have fun on your building. Which TurboCAD do you have? I use version 12.5 Pro and 16 Deluxe. I like the 12.5 better because it has the gear profile package (extra called Mechanical Pack). I built the Hasbrouck Nr7. 2cyl marine engine. Some guys on the Hasbrouck Engines group have successfully doubled that one to. ironman

I have version 14 Deluxe. Best thing I ever bought.

Latest posts

Back