Bench top Endmill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingtractors1

Reaction score
After brief research and with intense interest, I realize that I need an End Milling machine. What would the experienced model engine builders recommend to one with limited resources?

Terminology.

What you want is most likely a Vertical Milling Machine a Mill for short.

The End Mill is the cutting tool that you place in the Mill spindle.

Now to your question... what kind of project you are interested in making?
What size?
You can go from a Sherline to an X3 or even bigger and still be on a bench top before you get to a knee mill of which the Bridgport is the most popular.

Whatever your choice the general rule is go a little larger than you think and best quality you can afford.

Plan to spend an equal amount in tooling an accessories in the next couple of years, you mileage may vary but you may want the boring head, the rotary table the vise, the V blocks, the angle plate, the collet indexer, parallels, end mills, clamping kits and on and on.

If you're going to buy new, this is about as cheap as they get in a size that is still pretty useable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-speed-variable-bench-mill-drill-machine-44991.html

Here's the Grizzly version which might be a little bit nicer out of the box.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Milling-Machine/G8689

There are other possibilities that you might find used, locally, if you live in a large enough population center. Check Craigslist.

Ebay and other places will probably have prohibitive shipping costs. You also need to figure another $200 or more in accessories, such as end mills, milling vice, and other things unless you can find a used mill which includes the accessories.

Chuck

Chuck, Thanks for this info. I've looked into both and am leaning toward the Grizzly - maybe even an upgraded model. I'll study it more.

Thanks. Yes - a Mill. Oh, I had better consider the cost of additional tooling and stuff to go with it. Well it's tough to decide when I know so little going in. I'll study it some more.

Hi
Do not let people put you off only stumbled onto this forum recently, and at 70, when I was about 10 my dad stood me on a crate to use his myford and have been an model engineer since who has made trains from 3.5g up to 7.25g am pleased to be called a newby. now purchase the biggest you can fit into your workshop and afford,
Terminology will come to you with experience and only purchase tooling as and when you need it.
If you haggle with the dealer they usualy throw in all sorts of goodies anyway to get you started.

From one newbie to another good luck and enjoy

Bob :)

You did say limited budget, right? If you asked me what kind of car you should buy, I would not be inclined to tell you to buy the biggest and best car you could afford, that would be silly. I would suggest something that would do the job while mitigating cost because I realize we all have to live within our budgets and I know from experience how much those "tune ups" cost on the more expensive models.

On the contrary, I suggest to buy an X2 from your local Harbor Freight. If you want bigger and better later you'll sell the Harbor Freight mill the same day you list it in Craigslist, they are that much in demand and you can sell it almost for what you paid for it, or maybe more, depending on what you've done to it. Meantime, you'll have stayed in your budget and learned a few things. Getting into a new hobby by starting out with expensive, large equipment has a way of costing you far more than it should have in the long run.

Thank you Bob and Dennis. This is what I mean by Encouraging, Wise and Helpful. I do feel intimidated and even too feeble to ask for help, being such a small fish. But I am intense and tenacious, And I want to build a model gas engine. I'll stick with it.

I come down on the bigger is better side too, however I had a Sears AA lathe in conjunction with a 16" FE REED lathe, and the small lathe was handy for small items. So perhaps the right tool for the job is a better view.

Whatever you have, the better the condition of the machine, the happier you will be.

I would like a Bridgeport mill also, but I have two smaller horizontal mills that are useful. One was free, and the other one cost $150 and required 3 phase 220V power. (a home built rotary converter works for me) The free one came with end mills and a beat up machine vise. Much of the bigger equipment is available at discount prices as few people want it. Bridgeport mills seem to be the exception, expect to pay ~$2000+ for one unless it's really trashed.

Whatever machine you get you will want the following accessories.
vise and or clamp kit (must have at least one)
machinist parallels (must have)
1" dial indicator and magnetic base (must have)
end mills assorted sizes (must)

With the above tools you can start to make holes, grooves, and slots. Add to your tooling as need and opportunity arise.
A DRO is nice to have, but not required.

Have fun, ask questions, remember everyone here started out as a novice at some point too.

FB

Thanks for the word, FB. I'll just get a bigger hammer. :) What are your thoughts on the Grizzly GO619 mill - now on sale for $1375.?

If you are considering that, you should also check out the G0704 and the G0463. I looked at all three, and chose the G0704. I spent more on tooling in the first year than the mill cost.

Thanks Paul. Tell me more. Does the 704 come with some of the tooling, though it is less expensive. Does it have more / better features? etc.

It comes with a drill chuck, and that's about it, which is the same as the opther mills. It has about the same table size and travel as the G0619, but it is quite a bit lighter, which I liked, because I had to get it into my basement. Even though it is lighter than the G0619, I read a number of comments from different sources that said it was more rigid than the G0619, because it had a boxed column and tapered gibs. It is certainly cheaper than the G0619, and comes with a stand, which I liked. Here is a website that will give you lots of info about it.

http://www.g0704.com/

If you check some of the videos, you will see that it can take surprisingly agressive cuts in both aluminum and steel. He also has a lot of helpful information about what tooling is necessary, and where you can get it. I am sure I would have loved the G0619 as well, but I don't regret buying the G0704.

I'd love to have a Bridgeport too, but it's too big and heavy for me, and you don't need anything that big to make parts for model IC engines. Lots of guys on this forum do great work with even smaller machines- much better work than I could do on even a new Bridgeport, for sure. Also, I have an old Atlas Lathe, which I restored to the best of my ability, and I had it for a number of years before I got a mill. My progress leaning to use a lathe was really slowed down with problems with the lathe, which I though were problems with my techniques. When I bought a mill, I decided to get a new one, to avoid that problem, and everything was much easier. I think a used Bridgeport is a great idea for someone who knows mills, how they should work and how to fix them and set them up, but for someone with no experience, a new machine is better to learn on.

Paul, thanks again. You make good sense. I appreciate your insight. I also have an old lathe ( a small 1956 Delta 6 X 14 ) that I have piddled with and learned to use ( pretty much ). But I've discovered that it just won't do everything, so now I've decided that I need a small mill to expand my skill set and build a small IC engine and whatever else comes up in my hobby mind. I want to buy new for the very reasons you stated. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Back