bearings making sence of catalogues

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack404

Reaction score
G'day folks anyone know of a simple to understand info site for bearings?

i have the NSK and SKF catalogues online here and cant make sence of them

i just wish a small simple bearing for my filing machine but the phone people take delight in demanding i know the codes before they'll accept a order

so how do i order a bearing with a ID of 6-8mm and a OD of 10-12mm ??

sorry if its a stupid question but its stopped me here

cheers

jack

Hi Jack,

sure at the dimensions ?

when i take greatest outer dia and smallest inner dia there are only 3mm left for
ring - ball - ring

thats not a standard bearing :-(
and therefore very expensive ...

also small ring bearings have greater difference between inner and outer.

there's no chance to change any dimension ?

Frank

i'm sorta stuck with a max OD of 15 mm

but i'm open to ID as i'm making the rest

the only other spec is tbe speed which is not great

about 5-7000 RPM

cheers

jack

there's probably not much we touch that can get more complicated than bearings.....when a you phone a bearing company it goes one of two ways - you know what you want or you don't. When the latter, you are asking them for engineering support so things can get complicated. "I just want a bearing" doesn't cut it for the engineer on the other end of the phone.

Far better to know what you want imo, unless you really are phone for engineering support. How to know what you want? tour around the sites is one way. The all list product tables for example, go to skf, products, roller bearings, deep grove (if that's what you want), product table, single row....you are now looking at a standard table of od/id bearings. There is a ton there to read, although granted, its not going to keep up on the edge of your seat

one problem with that approach is you may be looking at an oddball size that take will take 4 months to stock and cost a gazillion - so why not check MSC or others....what they have in the catalogue will be the common stuff and you'll also get a sense of price.

i think you are scuppered on the 15mm, and a 14/6 isn't happening (i don't think) if you really need this low a profile, you might have to look at torrington style bearings, but that demands a hardened shaft.

I get frustrated too at figuring out bearings but the bottom line is there is a lot to bearings and you just have to deal with it

Jack,
A good place to start is on the boca bearings website, in particular the engineering guide section at:
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=docs&id=15

Then to get in to specifics go the the metric section since you are probably interested in metric sized bearings.
http://www.bocabearings.com/pages/charts/industry_engineering_metric_series.htm

To answer your question directly, in the generic numbering system for metric bearings the part number will begin with "M" and then the second letter will either be an "R" for a bearing without a flange or an "F" for a bearing with a flange. If there is an "S" ahead of the "M" it means the bearing is made of Stainless Steel.

The numbers following this indicate the size, and there is no alternative but to look up the number to get the ID/OD combination that you want.

A whole bunch of stuff can follow this, but most common bearings are "-ZZ" and that indicates that there is a shield on both sides. If your bearing is not protected from crud from the filing machine, you may want to get a "-2RS" suffix, which means there are 2 Rubber Shields.

So the generic designation for a plain shielded bearing with 6 mm ID and 12 mm OD would be:
MR126-ZZ and MR126-2RS for one with seals

Gail in NM,USA

Gail In NM

Thats EXACTLY the plain english i needed

and now i have found the one i need in the NSK site catalogue

i read all 18 pages on one site ( that just left me feeling stupid) that you explained in less than 200 words ( guessing) and now i know!!!

Thank You Thank You Thank You

bearingcat1.jpg

If you where here you'd drink free for a long time

cheers very very much

jack

looks like i was wrong, there are 15mm bearings......way to go Gail

Jack,
I owed you one for all the information I soaked up from your Parkerizing thread.

Mcgyver,
I have unfortunately spent too much of my toy building budget on bearings. But they do make things work so much nicer when you can find what you want.

Gail in NM,USA

tel

what can i say??

thats a bloody ripper!!

still rocking down to centurion friday??

cheers jack

As things stand at the moment, yes mate. Should arrive there sometime between 12 & 1

no worries

i'll be wondering about getting into debt i suppose

drooling at the minimum

see ya there

jack

Back