Atkinson engine

Help Support HMEM:

Gordon

Reaction score
Great work. At least you have proven that it can run.

propclock

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Fantastic you are a true owner of a Unicorn as far as I have read, like the guy that routinely actually uses his Quorn to sharpen an end mill.
Congratulations ! what is all the liquid in the center? I think as an outside observer
the CDI ignition helps as mentioned by Grim in another Atkinson post and a large flywheel.
The proof is in the running, again congratulations.

dsage

Reaction score
Wow. Fantastic. And it runs with such authority too !!
Looks like you have wonderful compression. What process do you follow to make your rings. Many have been discussed on HMEM.
I think I might abandon my Gingery version (that I considerably modified) and start over.
So, to be clear, you didn't change anything from the original drawings presented on HMEM earlier. I don't want to go down a dead end again.
Thanks much.
A couple of words would be appreciated.

dsage

Reaction score
Fantastic you are a true owner of a Unicorn as far as I have read, like the guy that routinely actually uses his Quorn to sharpen an end mill.
Congratulations ! what is all the liquid in the center? I think as an outside observer
the CDI ignition helps as mentioned by Grim in another Atkinson post and a large flywheel.
The proof is in the running, again congratulations.
Propcock the water is for cooling. There is a passage from the hopper to surround the cylinder. The Gingery uses this method as well.

gg89220

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I bought the segments, it doesn't have too much compression I threaded the valve stems easier to find the right spring flexibility the ignition point is precise

stragenmitsuko

Reaction score
A fine runner

Félicitations !

You dindn't use the governor as gar as I can see ?

dsage

Reaction score
I bought the segments, it doesn't have too much compression I threaded the valve stems easier to find the right spring flexibility the ignition point is precise
Segments??
I assume you mean the rings? Good idea.
Excellent idea for adjusting the springs.
Thanks

dsage

Reaction score
Outstanding! Congratulations!
They DO run!

John
They??
Well. I had little doubt (if made properly) the Pendegrast designed engine would run. It's the Gingery version that has problems.

Steamchick

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
gg. I think you have made an excellent model of this engine and justly deserve the Model of the Month for this one. A true bit of craftsmanship to make such a sweet running engine, of a relatively difficult design. (Looks easy, but so many comments about difficulty of making them run suggests you have "the knack").
K2

dsage

Reaction score
gg. Would you be so kind as to check the positions of your pistons when they are fully to the left in the cylinder with respect to the spark plug hole. I have redrawn the drawings and run an animation and this is what I get. The spark plug hole seems to be partially block by the piston. I'm just trying to confirm this is correct.
Thanks

1616415043073.jpeg

dsage

Reaction score
Excellent. Thank you very much. I'll consider it normal and continue. That's good. I don't have to go looking for errors in my re-draw.
Thanks Again.

dsage

Reaction score
Yes. A book to be avoided at all costs. See various other threads on the Atkinson engine.

dsage

Reaction score
If you've been following along the plans are already posted back in message #5 and elsewhere in another thread. I'm just re-drawing those plans to be sure I understand them.