Assistance please on C2 Cross slide extention

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ageless

Reaction score
I am hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on what I am doing wrong with a cross slide extension to my C2 (7" x12") mini lathe.

Let me start off as to what I have completed and or purchased for this modification.

1. I have purchased a 608-2RS bearing for the modification.
2. I have finished making a 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" Aluminum cross slide extension for the lathe.
3. I have milled the top end to match the stock cross slide extension except made it longer.
4. I have drilled and bored the new extension to match the stock version except for adding to the cross slide a recess for the bearing.
5. I used my milling machine to extend the travel of the lead screw on the cross slide.
6. I manufactured a bushing to fit onto the rotating dial on the end of the cross slide.

OK, now the problem. I have made a few other parts up to try and get this assembly to work well however I
am having great difficulty in understanding what parts I need to make this work.
If any one has completed the upgrade please give help me out.

My last option is making up a new cross slide lead screw but that is my last choice, it is much easier to make up a extension of some sort
to make this all come together.

Cross Slide Parts.jpg

I have done this mod (with the exception of milling out the saddle--everything else is ready to go). It works well.

Go to GadgetBuilders site www.gadgetbuilder.com and look at what he's done (that's what I tried to mimic). It looks like you have everything except you hollow cylinder looks wrong.

CrossSlide4.jpg

It needs to have steps built into it so that the bearing will be "captured".

I know have the cross-slide working, the key was having at least one shoulder on the extension.

I was using John's site (Gadget-Builder) as a reference site and used as recommended a 608-2RS bearding.
As the inner race of this bearing is I believe 8mm in diameter like the lead screw, no shoulder can be made there.
This left the shoulder of the bushing which holds the scale as a way to interject a shoulder.
This works, I am including a image of the part I manufactured.
Please note must you some form of screw/bolt to hold the bearing in place.

Shaft Bushing.jpg

Latest posts

Back