Article for a Rack and pinion tailstock on a 7x?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamer

Reaction score
Didn't someone publish and article on building one of these conversions?

Any help would be appreciated!

Dave

Dave;
Like you I know Ive seen an article - not specifically on the 7x - I will sift thru the pdf files on the hard drive tonight. Martin Cleave shows photos of his personal Myford with a rack tailstock mod in the Workshop series of books - Screwcutting on the lathe. No details on the mod however....
Cheers
Garry

I have an engineering workshop magazine where someone details the instillation of such a tailstock on a Myford it was said to be a very worth while modification. The kits was off the shelf tho and you needed to replace the tailstock ram/barrel

I think with a bit of ingenuity it wouldn't be to hard to make this modification, have you thought of a simple leaver instead of using a rack?

p1000507.jpg
p1000512.jpg
145-6-p2.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, but why? What does this do that a standard screw TS doesn't?

Well for a starters...it gives you access thru the spindle from behind. A lever action spindle would do the same I suppose and would be easier to build. so I'm looking at them both.

I have an idea swimming around in the vast expanse that is my little bird brain..when it germinates...I'll share ::)

Dave

and oh by the way Marcel....is that your Myford? Sweeeeeet!
Dave

Ahh the lock nut on the rack barrel is there so you can position the rack in any angular position desired....Oh I like that.....hmmmm. ;D

Dave

I have an Idea Dave ill try and explain it

On the Myford lathes (and I assume the 7" clones) a threaded nut secures the hand wheel into the the tailstock casting and thats also where the Rack and pinion attachment threads into right..... The RP attachment needs a new barrel with a rack cut into it right well what if you use the existing barrel and screw in a round profile rack. The new "round rack" is just that a simple rack gear profile machined on a spindle and once you make that you can make a hob to cut a simple worm gear to mate with.

The hardest part would be making a housing to make it all mesh, I think it would probably look just like the Myford one

Anyway food for thought

Latest posts

Back