Arnold's take on Elmer's Grasshopper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top Rate, Arnold!
It runs along very nicely, and makes a smart little chuffing sound.

Well done, mate!

Dean

Arnold,

That's just great. :bow: :bow: :bow:

It took you less time to make than it took me to make a conrod, (and I'm still not 100% finished).

Best Regards
Bob

what had I said? you will finish this engine soon...

and the result is excellent: a very nice engine that runs as driven by the wind!
congrats :bow:

you and your shop have earned some time to recharge the battery (for me working on tools building or reorganizing the shop is really relaxing time)

Congratulations Arnold.
Wonderful work.
Wonderful engine.
Wonderful thread.
Great fun.
Thanks!
Looking forward to your next project. woohoo1

Great work Arnold :bow: :bow: :bow:

Very nice build and great watching it run

Congrats...

Jeff

Arnold,
It was a pleasure watching this one come together. Great job.
Dennis

Thank you Gail; I'll have to let it run in a bit more to get to breath power, or I'll have to get a small compressor to run it; it's going to my office soon to hold down some papers and amuse visitors.

Marv, you actually used a "smiley" ! Shrek doesn't like my engines... He stays away from them. But the moment you pick one up he starts bobbing his head and making pf pf pf pf - he likes to hear them running.

Trout, go for it; it's a fun engine to build, but does require a fair bit of accuracy. And if you want to go for an Elmer build and don't have Elmer's "Appendix" , I would strongly suggest getting it here from john-tom. It is easily overlooked.

Kvom, thank you

Thank you Ed - I had a look at the PDF - good work on the editing; thank you!

Dean, thanks; I'm glad you enjoyed the sound track!

Thank you Bob. At least my workshop's a bit more conveniently located than yours, so I can nip off to it quickly, so you have good reason for having slower progress ;D Nice additional work on the con rod by the way Thm: - It's starting to look like an engine.

Ariz, thank you. I find making tooling and engines equally enjoyable. Tidying the shop is a chore though...

Carl, thank you. Unfortunately I can't afford that bridge you have for sale though (or I'm just plain stingy careful how I invest my money) ;D

Thanks Jeff

Thank you Rick - also for that tip on the cross drilling on the pins!

Dennis, thanks!

A side-note: some gut feel told me to have a quick look at my profile here on HMEM; I've been on here for precisely one year today. How time flies when you're having fun!

Regards, Arnold

Nice job Arnold!!

Well, it's a great way to mark your anniversary, Arnold!

Dean

Arnold,
My apologies for being late to the party. What a great little runner that is!
Lots of eye candy, lots of motions to capture the attention.

Congratulations on a great build! Thm:

Both Kevins and Tel thank you!

Thanks Dean - even better; I let the engine run on the compressor for about 20 minutes last night, and it now runs on breath power ;D

Kevin, absolutely no need to apologize :)

Kind regards, Arnold

Thanks, Arnold. You have set a high standard that I hope to achieve sometime.

Thanks again,

Jack

Hi Arnold - I just started looking at your project here and I can prove it. I was looking at your first photo and comments. I also removed the saftey guard and switch assembly from my Craftex (Busy Bee) CT129 mill/drill. The reason being the plastic guard prevented me from getting the quill down close to my work. It kept hitting the top of my fairly large milling vice before I got anywhere close to my work. I just make sure that I am wearing my goggles while performing ALL operations. Just one of the guys-Billmc

Thanks Jack ;D I didn't try to set a standard for anybody except myself to compare to though. I set myself some targets to strive for before every build, and I just try to reach or exceed those. I'm my own worst critic!

Bill, thanks. I don't profess blindly removing all safety features though; it's a question of just using good sense when machining. In fact, I'll be doing an enhancement to my mill soon, where I'll use the same circuitry that I disconnected to add some safety for both protecting myself and the mill. That I'll be posting in the "Machine Modifications" section.

And in case anybody wonders why I used the term "good sense" instead of "common sense" - that's a personal pet peeve of mine nowadays. Somehow, I feel that "common sense" is not necessarily "good sense" any more... I must be getting old :big:

Kind regards, Arnold

arnoldb said:
Somehow, I feel that "common sense" is not necessarily "good sense" any more... I must be getting old :big:

I don't think your getting old, common sense is only common to the person defining it, good sense is always good. :p Well that's my take on it.

Best Regards
Bob

Oh my! Outstanding Arnold Thm: I've never actually seen one of these engines run. It seems to chug along quite happily, I like them that way, not going 110 with it's hair on fire. BRAVO!

BC1
Jim

Really pretty engine, great rhythm while running. Quite sublime.

:-[ A belated thank you Bob and Jim - much appreaciated :) - somehow missed answering your replies last year!

Thank you milotrain :); it was fun to build, and always get a lot of attention from visitors. Now, nearly a year later, it is the engine in my collection that runs the best on breath power of all of them.

Kind regards, Arnold

Back