• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Antique Style Flywheel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Mc

Reaction score
I am gathering the parts to build "The First Henry Ford I.C. Engine". I am trying to locate an antique style flywheel for it similar to the one shown in the photo. It needs to be 14 to 16 inches in diameter and 10 to 15 pounds in weight. Please ask for Bill at 705-424-6477 or on the internet [email protected] I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT I AM PROBABLY LOOKING FOR A HANDWHEEL FOR A HUGE VALVE SUCH AS THE ONES USED ON NATURAL GAS OR OIL PIPELINES OR PERHAPS AT AN OIL REFINERY. DOES ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHERE I COULD LOCATE ONE EITHER USED OR NEW ? Price negotiable

Antique 25 Pound Cast Iron Flywheel.jpg

That looks like one of the wheels from an old time coffee grinder. Perhaps a look see at some of the antique stores or farm sales in the area would be in order. I've always admired the curvilinear spoked flywheels. ;D

Look Here
The fly wheel of and old singer treadle sewing machine. on flea bay
Tin Falcon

Bill, I also got the plans and would like to build one someday on the long list of things, I was also looking around for something, was looking at a 25 pound weight used by the free weights you know like the power lifters use, could cut the spokes, they are cast, that would be a mess, still looking, if you build it be sure to post for us, happy hunting, Lathe Nut

Hi Tin Falcon & Lathe Nut - I had an E-mail from a fella on the east coast (Boston area I think). He had the EXACT "flywheel" I was looking for (same size - same weight) but was a little pricey (150 to 200 bucks). Also the shipping costs would have been prohibitive. I was driving through New Lowel, Ontario a couple of weeks ago and there sitting om the side of the highway was an old treddle sewing machine put out for garbage or scrap pickup. I stopped and quickly threw the whole thing (sewing machine on top as well) and got the H___ out of there! When I got home I looked it over more closely. I think the wheel on it will do the job. It is 12.5 inches in diameter but only weighs about 8 lbs (specs call for 10 - 15 lbs.). I am going to try using it anyways when I get started building my engine, hopefully this fall (after the camping season is over). I have heard that you can make a nice jigsaw by turning the old sewing machine itself upside down and making a cabinet for it and adding an electric motor to drive it. How's that for recycling? Thanx to both of you for your suggestions and help. - Bill Mc kinley (Baxter Ont). P.S. I'm going to look up Brian Rupnow in Barrie one of these days. He is fairly close to where I live.

Bill--I was reading your post and when I seen New Lowell, I thought--"Hey--He must be close to Barrie!!"--Then I read a bit farther and see you are going to look me up. Thats great!! If you click on my signature or go to www.rupnowdesign.com, my contact info is all there. ----Brian

Bill: I am the guy that offered the flywheel you needed & considering the postage it was going to cost to Canada plus the time boxing I thought that I was being fair. Yes postage was included in my price. I am 90 miles east of Boston, Ma. Ron

Back