Another small step ....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tel

Reaction score
.... for Telkind. Made myself a set of MT2 collet blocks. The square one had to be hogged out of a bit of 30mm round bar, hence the abbreviated corners, but they work well.

block1.jpg

Simple and effective Tel, way to go :bow:

Regards cobber, Ian.

Good job. If flatten those corners a bit, you'll have a dandy octagonal holder...

Chuck

cfellows said:
Good job. If flatten those corners a bit, you'll have a dandy octagonal holder...

Chuck

Good job and I second the recommendation.
Tim

Hey I like that.. MT2 EH?.... Ocasionally I could use a square collet block in 5C..I am not in the right mood to make one because 5-c gadgets is so common and cheap..I'll go Enco.

Yeah Steve, that's the sensible way to do it, but since I have no 5C stuff and I do have a set of MT2 .......

Hi Tel,please excuse my Dutch Kiwi ignorance,but what do you use these blocks for?
I've never seen them.
Regards.Hans

I'm going to make a newbie guess:

The collet goes into one of the blocks and is tightened down on the workpiece (or tool) with the screw. Then the hex one can be gripped by a 3-jaw chuck and the square one with a 4-jaw.

kvom said:
I'm going to make a newbie guess:

The collet goes into one of the blocks and is tightened down on the workpiece (or tool) with the screw. Then the hex one can be gripped by a 3-jaw chuck and the square one with a 4-jaw.

While that is certainly possible, the more common use is in the mill to index cuts on a cylindrical part. Imagine cutting a square or hex tenon on the end of a cylinder.

Just to add to Marv's description, by using the correct block in your milling chuck, you can very easily machine the bar with either 1, 2, 3, 4, or 6 faces, without having to break out the spin indexer or RT, so losing your vice setup.
IMHO, if you have the collets, you should definitely have a pair of these in your collection.

This is just an example of a commercial unit for 5c collets.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0344213

John

Had a play this morning - made a special, short M8 plug tap. Here's the square on in use.

tapflute.jpg

tapsq.jpg

tapfin.jpg

Hi

Ok I got it so far but how do you make the 2MT hole in the block?

Cheers

Rich

I set the topslide over to the MT2 angle with a DTI, bored 'em and then finished with an MT2 reamer

Latest posts

Back