Another Rupnow Air Hit n Miss Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disaster averted. I still had the ½” stock in the lathe and the Y axis on the Mill was still locked so it was a quick recovery for my broken part and it fits just as nicely as the first one.

088 Sliding Cam and Actuator.jpg

090 Sliding Cam and Actuator.jpg

The reason for the ring around some of the pictures is that my camera doesn’t handle close-ups very well.
This is my Rube Goldberg setup for extreme close ups.

091 Rube Goldberg Close Up Set Up.jpg

The notch for the rocker arm turned out not to be deep enough so I had to set it up (hate having to do that) and take it down another 0.10.

093 Notch Not Deep Enough.jpg

For the rocker arm itself I know the basic size it has to be, so I’m purely winging it as to the final shape. I inserted a .125 stainless steel ball where it contacts the valve rod and just trimmed the angles until it looked right

094 Rocker Arm  Added .125 Ball To Rough Shape.jpg

096 Rocker Arm.jpg

The valve actuator fork is a simple milling job done as per the drawing.

098a Valve Actuator.jpg

The push rod is just 1/8” drill rod threaded 5-40 on one end. Once attached to the fork I marked it for length and rounded off the end.

099 Push Rod and Valve Actuator.jpg

99a Push Rod Length.jpg

99b Push Rod and Valve Actuator.jpg

I'm starting to get antsy. For the valve rod guide I just worked from a quick penile sketch and whittled it out of some ½” by ¼” brass. I’ll say it again “I love those Sowa Spiral Taps”

99c Valve Rod Guide.jpg

99d Taping For Rod Guide Love Those Sowa Spiral Taps.jpg

All of my engines up to now, have been made by following known working plans, drawn up by people that knew what they were doing. Any changes I made where cosmetic at best. I’ve been feeling apprehensive on this one ever since I decided go swap the cylinder head and valve assembly. Normally I’m a pretty patent guy. But normally I don’t deviate this far afield from the plans.
I partially assembled most of the bits and pieces I’ve finished so far. The sliding cam and actuator are held in place by the governor spring, a washer and a plastic cable tie. It’s dripping with run in oil and the flywheel needs to be trued up but…….scratch.gif

100 Partially Assembled.jpg

101 Partially Assembled.jpg

IT”S ALIVE!
Ok. I’m going to try and post a video. The quality is not very good. I just used my digital camera.
This might be the first “Chuck Fellows Horizontal Single with a Liney Halo designed Valve”
I still have work to do, but now I know I’m not just working on a paper weight.

http://s775.photobucket.com/user/bmac6129/media/HMEM%20Stuff/102ChuckFellowsHorizontalSingleWithaLineyHaloValvemovfile_zpsa4b6ee88.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

Hum. Ok Does anyone know how to post videos? ???

Bob, I've never tried uploading videos to photobucket, so someone else will need to chime in here. I always use youtube.

The engine looks great. I suspect you better get the drawings in order because a lot of people are going to want to build it!

Chuck

Posting a movie on Photobucket
Go to www.photobucket.com and open a free account.
Make a movie with your video camera---it will save it as an mp4 file
Download the mp4 file to somewhere on your computer that you can find it. Name it if you want to.
Find it on your computer. Don’t open it. Right click on it and choose “copy”
Open “windows Live Movie Maker” and right click once in the rectangular black area, then right click on the clipboard at the top of the screen that says “paste”---Your movie will appear as a number of still shots, but not run.
In top left corner of Windows Live Movie Maker there is a white thing with writing on it that looks like a book with a white triangle beside it. Click on the white triangle, and a number of options will appear. As soon as you put your cursor over “save Movie” it will give a bunch of options.
Choose “Windows Phone Small”----This will open a new screen with an area coloured blue that says “My Movie.WMV”---Start typing in a new name for your movie while the blue is still hi-lighted and the text will change to whatever you want to call it. “My Sawmill” works.
Up at the top of the page select what directory you want the movie to appear in and it will save as a .wmv file, which Photobucket can upload.
When you go to close down “Windows Live Movie Maker” it will ask if you want to save your movie. Say No---You’ve already saved it. Open your Photobucket account, choose upload, and guide it to where your “My Sawmill .wmv” is filed.
When your movie is finished uploading (it takes a while). Click in the box that says “IMG code” the box should turn yellow and tell you it has been copied. Go to the forum, start a post, hold down Ctrl on the keyboard with your left hand and press the v on your keyboard one time. There---You have posted a link that others can click on to see your video.----Brian Rupnow

Hi Brian
I'd uploaded the vid to Photo Bucket but in the stock .mov format Kodak uses. I'll try again.

Thank you . . . .

ok brian I don't have enough brain cells to comprehend what you sead much less how you done it . I only have one brain cell left and I don't want to tax it to much I stll have to breathe and some times I think that is to much:big::big::big:

Brian. good on ya! Thm:
This is Definitely one of those Copy / Paste / Save for future reference moments.
In Photo Bucket I think was picking up the “HTML Embed” link from the “Albums” page not the page with the IMG link. I didn’t have to change the format.

Can’t remember the last time I spent this much time in the shop. It’s ok. I have a note from my wife that says this January I can spend as much time in the dungeon as I want. But I think I get to paint the kitchen as soon as I’m done. She brings me food and is making sure I stay hydrated.
The Backing Plate. Like Brian in his build log I went for milling it out one piece rather than soldering it up. Used aluminum instead of brass mainly because it’s what I had. Got the blank down to size in the lathe and marked center with a ½” parallel. Brought it down 0.2” leaving the 3/16 ridge down the middle for the weight arms hinge points.

104 Backing Plate blank (Medium).jpg

106 Rough milling to the proper thickness (Medium).jpg

Cleaned out the middle leaving .175 on each end and plunge cut the 3/8” hole.

107 Plunge cutting the .375 center hole (Medium).jpg

There is nothing like a 1/16” end mill to help me relax. I can hear that little “ping” as it snaps already. Light cuts, lots of oil and keeping it clean of buildup seem to be the best way to use these little guys. Used the end mill to spot the locations for the two 4-40 screws

108 .0625 mill (Medium).jpg

With a 1/16” slot and a 1/16” blade on my square setting it up to finish the slots went quick. Once again Light cuts, lots of oil and keeping it clean of buildup did the trick and no “ping”.

109 vertical setup (Medium).jpg

Latest posts

Back