Another one underway

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work on the flywheel Tel. This is a very interesting design and you are doing some amazing work with it. Looking forward to more!!

Bill

tel said:
Rough trimmed the spokes, then set 'em on the mandrel and turned down to a close fit in the rim.

Super looking flywheel tel.

I'm struggling to figure out how you made sure the outer ring was concentric. Can you tell me more? Or have more pictures? Thanks.

Great looking flywheel Tel. I would have thought you could only get such a piece from a casting.

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks blokes - it was a bit of a fiddle, but I was constrained to working with what I had on hand, hence the method.

Zee - I'm probably lucky, but my 30 y/o Pratt Burnerd 3 jaw still holds pretty true over most of it's range, so the procedure is/was this.

The ring started life as a scrapyard bronze bush - I got two of these years ago and this is the 4th (and last :() flywheel I've got out of 'em.

1. Hold the ring in the three jaw by the inner diameter and face, turn the od down to a bit oversize.

2. Reverse in chuck and face other side down to a bit over the finished dimension.

3. Transfer to 4 jaw, holding by the OD and clock true. Then bore out the ID to size.

4. Bore a little step - no more than 0.005" or so, for the spokes to rest on.

5. Trim spokes oversize and mount on true running mandrel. Turn down to a close fit in the recess. (mine was a light tap fit)

6. Assemble wheel and, still holding with the mandrel take light truing cuts until it runs true.

Mine has yet to have it's final trim, which it will need, as there is just a little 'float' in it at the moment - noticeable, but still better than some finished flywheels I have done. All in all I'm pretty happy with it.

Glad to be of assistance Zee.

Thus far I have stuck reasonably close to the original engine as pictured. Today a radical departure.

Today a radical departure

What, you have run out of light green paint? its now two tome green with a red oxide flywheel ::)

Jason

;D Oddly enough, both those greens came out of the same can - got to try and do something about that, but I'm not real sure what yet. Probably a strip down and repaint a bit further along.

:eek: Red Oxide???? TUSCAN RED if you please! Ah well, I like it.

Tel the flywheel looks superb. Very good work. I think that the diameter is 4", 1/4" the bore , but is it the width 1/2"? I should like to know this, when I'll try to build this engine. I am an optimist by nature and perhaps I could be able to built one. Thanks Tel, really I enjoy watching your fantastic work.

Toni

Musta been summat ont brush. Not sure which time.

Great work irrespective of the colour. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks for the kind word blokes.

Bob - that's a spray can of Brunswick Green, 2 coats put on over grey primer - I have no explanation for the difference unless the atmospheric conditions at the time(s) played some part.

Tony - the flywheel is a little larger than that - 4 1/2" OD, 5/16" bore and 5/8" rim width, with a hub width of 3/4". I'm sure you could do one ok, not at all difficult, just fiddly.

I like the green color. Its kinda soothing, Like pea soup. Ya gotta make it standout somehow.

The entire thing looks excelent. Great Job. The flywheel is beautiful.

kel

tel said:
Bob - that's a spray can of Brunswick Green, 2 coats put on over grey primer - I have no explanation for the difference unless the atmospheric conditions at the time(s) played some part.

Well, bugger me. :eek: Very canny. ::) Was it shaken or stirred before application ???

Best Regards
Bob

;D Did a James Bond on it both times - the bearings were painted about two days after the base.

Back