Another one underway

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really nice work Tel. I enjoy watching you work the torch. :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Hey, this thing might not be a complete shambles after all! The pads and tabs to hold the sub base fitted. In a stunning victory for lack-of-planning I managed to fit the tabs first (flush riveted) making installing the screws at the rear corners a job for a double jointed octopus.

The roughed out sub base fitted - it's starting to look a bit like the picture in me 'ead.

Very nice choice Tel, I hope to enjoy with your progress so much as the last twin cyllinder engine. I like how you build this engine. Please could you put any sketch with the measures? I know that is a boring job, but could you add some element of mesure known as a reference in yours pics. Thanks Tel I enjoy a lot of with your engines, you built them so "easy". My apologies with me English as you know I am from Spain and languages are our unresolved matters.

Toni

Thanks toni - I don't have much in the way of drawings, but I'll gather up such rough sketches as I have and post 'em.

Made a start on the main bearing housings today.

Enough material for the two housings, plus some for holding, was cut off and machined to the required width (1.750"). Then it was set up in the 4 jaw and the 'uprights' section turned to 1.160" - it was done this way to produce a bit of radius on the outer sides of the uprights.

The openings were roughed out, the pieces separated from the parent stock, and most of the milling done, and the mounting holes drilled

Temporarily bolted to the base. The alignment looks to be pretty close

Hi Tel,
Neat trick on making that radius. That's one of those things I would look at in the past and wonder "how'd you do that?". A nice detail :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Tel I should be wathching your work all time. Thanks for sharing your "art" with us and for the reference in your pics.

Toni

I know this is going to be a disappointment, but rather than go with the big. square crankshaft y'awl were expecting me to make, I decided to go with a smaller, round one - less chance of binding this way!

Well as you have put those bearings in you could have gone the whole way and machined them with flanges to stop them moving sideways ;)

Comming along well' I'll have to find you another site with some more engines when this one is finished

Jason

Yes mate - get lookin'.

As far as the flanged bearings go - they won't be able to move out because of the crank arms, nor in because of the flywheel, so where they gonna go?

Looking good Tel

Its giving me ideas how to go about the grasshopper build I want to do at some point in the future.

Thanks for showing

Stew

so where they gonna go

The whole lot could move sideways as one unit, but I expect you will have the oil cup threads a little longer than the top plates so they locate into the bearings to stop them moving ;)

Stew, when the traction engine is finished I will be doing a doubled up Easton & Anderson grasshopper, all fabricated.

but I expect you will have the oil cup threads a little longer than the top plates so they locate into the bearings to stop them moving Wink

;D That was the plan.

Toni, here are the only two sketches I have so far - both are rough approximations that changed somewhat when I got on the metal, but they will give you the rough idea.

base sketch.jpg

bearing frame.jpg

Thanks, I appreciate very much your effort Tel. The sketches are very clear and
I hope you will have so fun building the engine as us wathching your work.

Toni

No trouble Toni - I'll post anything that looks worthwhile in future - usually I just bin those when I've done with 'em.

Well, I said at the start that this project would be on if I could make the base - looks to me like we have GO. Wot's all y'awl think?

Tel,
I'd say it's a definite go! I'm excited about seeing the rest of this come together.
Dennis

Tel, looks really fine to me, but I cant see the metal flake in the paint ???

Paul

It looks like a winner to me Tel. I think you are committed now. ;D
Gail in NM

Go go go and tel tel tel all. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Back