Another one underway

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all - looks like we have us a project.

Nah Paul, I went thru and picked all the metal flakes out.

Tel, Do you have to cut the base for connecting rod clearance, or did you design the bearing blocks higher/taller ?

Paul

I added a little height to what I thought, and am hoping to get away without doing the cutouts. Pretty sure I can, even if it means shortening the stroke a little.

Tel,
That looks fantastic, quite a transformation from the first few pictures. Is it just painted or is it powder coated? From these last pics it almost looks like a powder coating. Looking forward to the rest of the build !!

Bill

Thanks Bill - no powder coating tho' - just a $5.99 can of Brunswick Green spray. That's what I like about fabricating - you can take a frew old bits of rubbish and make 'em look a million bucks.

Just been admiring your B&S tank BTW - now there's a nice bit of work!

Tel,
I'm looking forward to your build progress. A+ on the base - can't wait to see all the parts attached to it.

Cheers,
Phil

Tel I am look forward to see the building progress. The base looks very nice. I have a doubt. is the base of base aluminum? The rest is 1/16" sheet steel nice bended and welded with silver alloy isn't it? I don't apreciate very well. I predict an engine of the month, without any doubt. Thanks another time for sharing this engine with us.

Toni

Might be a bit of a delay with progress, as I have a display coming up mid April, and I need to get my stuff ready for it.

Yes Toni, the bottom of the base is a piece of 4mm aluminium, held on by four screws and a fillet of body filler applied around the joint. No silver solder in the uper though - it's just oxy/acet welded - a little filler wire for the initial tacks and the the plates fused together without filler (or nearly so)

Great going Tel, definitely a GO Thm:

you can take a few old bits of rubbish and make 'em look a million bucks
Been trying that myself, but it still comes out rubbish ;D - so you must have a secret !

Regards, Arnold

Took a break from preparing for the dsisplay tody and started on the flywheel components

looking great Tel
cheers Pete.

OK, four segments and four packing pieces are cut from the smaller ring, and assembled in a crude jig.

And silver soldered together, the spokes are way too long at this point

Not the tidiest silver soldering ever, but sound jointsd with good fillets

Nice cheat on the curved spokes, Tel.

The soldering jig looks like it would come in handy for whittling the spokes down to size, too.

It's entertaining watching you work Tel. I believe I can almost smell the torch fumes ;). Looking forward to the finished flywheel.

Cheers,
Phil

ksouers said:
Nice cheat on the curved spokes, Tel.

The soldering jig looks like it would come in handy for whittling the spokes down to size, too.

You know I was just thinking the very same thing K'.

Tel, that is going to be so cool when you get done. Terrific thinking outside the box. Well done.

BC1
Jim

;D Wet today, so got a bit more progress made. Turned the big ring (rim) down to size, with a 0.005" deep seating recess in the ID. Rough trimmed the spokes, then set 'em on the mandrel and turned down to a close fit in the rim.

A dry fit.

Hung on the engine for a look-see - I think the proportions are about right.

The flywheel looks nice Tel. Did you heat the rim to get spokes in ?

Paul

No Paul, I turned it to a very close fit (I actually took a truing skim of the od of the rim with it assembled dry) then filed shallow grooves in the tops of the four spokes and put it together with retaining compound.

Back