Another one underway

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tel

Reaction score
During my recent cruising around the net I came across this site which has a wealth of potential models just waiting to be made. I was particularly taken by the very top one, a double cylinder horizontal oscillator.

Been thinking about it for a few days, and I reckoned that the only really tricky bit would be getting the base done. If I can do that without making a complete dog's breakfast of it, then the rest should flow along fairly easily. Thought about, and discarded, notions of casting it, or hogging it out of the solid (life's too short) so we are back to fabrication. A suitable bit of sheet was unearthed from the ju.. reserve supplies, and a stasrt made today. Of course, true to the nature of these things, at this point I ran out of acetylene, so it has ground to a halt until I can lay some more in.

I'll insert the usual disclaimer here - this will be a 'sort of' model of the full size thing, as I"m working from this one photo and much of it will have to be eyballed and guestimated.

Let the fun begin.

Tel, that's one nice looking engine, have fun on the build. Great site link!!

Paul

Tel,
As usual, I'll be following along with my jaw dropped. I'm looking forward to watching you at work.
Dennis

A nice looking engine Tel. The engine in the picture looks like it was meant to do some work. I'll be watching your build right up to the point where you paint it ;)

Cheers,
Phil

What a terrific collection of engines at that site. Some of them I am familiar with and some I have never heard of or seen before. Tel, I know that you will persevere in the fabrication of that base and we all can't wait to see what techniques you use to achieve the goal.

BC1
Jim

Tel,
Subscribed to your build. Looks fantastic!

Sean

This looks another interesting build Tel, I'll be watching with interest.

Have fun

Stew

Tel, if you click the photo on Prestons site you will get two other views that show the otherside & a close up, same with most of their stock

Jason

Thanks blokes, as I said, getting the base more or less right will be the make or break of this 'un. Looks promising at this stage.

Jason, I didn't realise that with the pics, thanks heaps - got a lot clearer idea of it now. Can't for the life of me figure how to save those other two tho. Any ideas?

Can't for the life of me figure how to save those other two tho. Any ideas?
[/quote]

Wot these two ;)

Oscillating_Twin_Horiz_2.jpg

Oscillating_Twin_Horiz_3.jpg

Jason

If you right click the first image then click "copy shortcut" it gives it as .....1.jpg, just tried 2.jpg & 3.jpg

Got 'em, thank you so much! The only reservation I have now is that metallic green paint - can't see that as being the original colour somehow.

Hi Tel, interesting build. Since you are making this from pictures, how are you getting your measurments? Or are you desiging an engine based on this one?

kel

On things like this you have to work from what you know. The flywheel is 12", bore 2" and the stroke 5". its just a case of proportioning all the other parts from these known sizes.

Jason

Another interesting build project Tel :)

The port faces & passages will be a very interesting part, judging from the position of the inlet/exhaust pipes.

And yes, I agree; the colour is not entirely pleasing :)

Regards, Arnold

Tel,

Thanks for the link - Bookmarked :D

Best Regards
Bob

hay Mate
nice looking project

another one to watch lol
surprised so many aussies on this site
I love it
cheers Pete

Nice chunky one,Tel.Are you sure that's metallic paint?Just looks like high gloss green to me.But agreed,it's a bit too light for a machine.There's also rather a lot of it
So if the full size flywheel is 12",what scale are you building at?If it's more than 3' it's gonna be a fat little bugger,ain't it :big:

I guess there's no accounting taste. I thought the green was pretty attractive. Maybe I'd better get some other opinions before I pick the color for my tractor. :D
Dennis

P.S. Looking forward to the build.

Thanks all. Got in a set a lean gas and finished welding the top plate to the sides, and cleaned 'em up a bit, also roughed out some material for the pads for main bearings and cylinder bearings - no pics as yet, camera batteries are on the charger now. :(

Hans, that looks mighty like metallic paint on my monitor at least, but I could be mistaken. The original intention was to make it in 1:4 scale, but owing to a slight technical hitch (read- I buggered up my initial guestimates) it will now be closer to 1:3 so yes, pretty chunky - the base is 4 1/4" x 7 1/8".

Arnold, I don't expect that a little engine like this was set up for reversing, so I don't anticipate too much trouble with the ports and passages.

Dennis, I don't mind the actual shade of green so much, it's the metallic look that doesn't sit well with me. Not in keeping for an engine of the era at all.

Years ago, at a live steam convention I saw a Simplex that had been built by a panel beater/spray painter - it was finished in black and grey epoxy paint and the finish was quite attractive and technically flawless BUT the engine just didn't wear it well at all. Just my opinion, of course.

Some pics tomorrow if I get back from the salt mine with enough light left.

Progress thus far - the pads are just sitting roughly in position, but it's starting to bear a passing resemblance to an engine base.

Back