Another one of Marv's gadgets

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
I've mentioned before that I use a lot of depth gauges.

depgage1.jpg

Today I was making something that required frequent measurements with one of these gauges. Fiddling with the calipers to read the measurement after setting the gauge got to be tiresome. Then I remembered that I had bought one of those digital indicators at HF when they were on sale for some ridiculously low price.

I quickly (re)discovered that digital indicators, like digital VOMs, are lousy at indicating trends. They're really only good for making 'stationary' measurements.

I dug it out of my toolbox where it had been languishing and made a tiny button tip for it out of brass. (It's worth having a 4-48 tap and die on hand so you can make DI accessories.) Then I made a sleeve that attaches to the indicator 'shaft' (the part fixed to the frame) with a nylon-tipped setscrew. Said sleeve has a through hole slightly larger than the movable stem on the indicator.

Here are the component parts

DEPTH1.jpg

With the sleeve attached, set the instrument on a flat surface and zero the indicator.

DEPTH2.jpg

Now, to read the depth gauge, simply stick it in the hole.

DEPTH3.jpg

The last picture shows the thing clamped in the vise but that was only because I don't have a third hand to hold the camera. Normally, it's held in my left hand with the depth gauge in my right.

Cool.. I guess I ought to go put batteries in my digital indicator (likewise, it's been languishing in the toolbox after making roughly the same discovery)

Hi all

The mill I've bought has a built in coolant facility however I'm not sure whether to connect this up. Any opinions on whether coolant is worthwhile ?? The mill will only be used for hobby stuff so no heavy industrial type use here :)

Also should I go with coolant any recommendations of DROs that work with the added moisture !

Cheers

Jim

Back