Another new guy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vidio1

Reaction score
Hello all and thanks for providing such a wonderful site. Quick intro. I was introduced to steam by my Grandfather when I was a kid. He had a steam powered toy that powered several "machines" by moving a string fan belt from one to another.

I was always fascinated with mechanics in general, from my first Erector set to a Street rod later on in my teens. I'm from Ny, but have lived in Western Ky. most of my life now.

I started a Machinist course while in High school and graduated with an Academic & Vocational diplomas. I recently retired from The Army where I was a Machinist and then later a Turbine engine mechanic.

Electronics have been a hobby of mine for a long time. I put that to use as an Electronics mechanic for the DoD. I bought my service time back and applied it to a Federal service job.

I have a few pieces of machinery in my garage, but plan on adding on when I find those deals too good to pass up. Currently I have 9x42 Mill that was CNC'ed sometime in the 90's. It's getting modern electronics and will hopefully be up and running sometime next year.

I also have an Craftsman 6x12 lathe. It does pretty good for bushings and small shafts, but I need to replace it with a proper lathe.

I really don't have anything in mind as a first project, but I'm sure something will catch my eye.

DSC00248 - Copy.JPG

You're off to a good start but you do need to mess it up a bit. Way too clean. Welcome.

If nothing catches your eye, you're not looking. :)

wEc1 to the forum, Glad to have ya.
Brock in oz

Welcome to the board. thanks for serving.
I retired from the national guard machining electronics etc.

Tin

vidio,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks for the welcome. That pic was when I first brought it home. I was moving it around a bit to see if that's where it would stay. It's considerably more messy now and has a few additions. I added a pneumatic drawbar, a splash/chip shield, and flood coolant.

I hope to get a few pics of the Craftsman after I clean it up. I just finished making a back plate for a 3 jaw and it's covered in chips.....

Hi vidio1
welcome to the forum.

Welcome video 1, you sound like an interesting guy and you seem to have all the equipment to start making things and having fun.
Stew.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great people and ideas.

Once again thanks for the warm welcome. I've been looking around for more than 13 hours now, most of it admiring the works of art some have built. I've filled a few trashcans with chips during the couple of decades I was a machinist, but there is drastic distinction between utilitarian work and art..........Simply amazed. :bow:

Back