Another Hoglet

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished my version of the Hoglet. Randall was a good friend of mine so this is sort of a tribute to him. It is modified from his original design but I like to think he would smile. Here’s the YouTube link too:

Great Job ,sounds good.
Ron

Very nice! Excellent tick-over. Could you share how you set up your starter motor system, including clutch and gear ratios? I'm trying to make something similar (I've got a scooter starter motor and considering a sprag bearing) but I'm absolutely rubbish at design.
Cheers
Andrew

Well Done!, Love the sound of the Hoglet, its on my bucket list.

The starter is from China, of coarse, and for a motor scooter. I tried one from a Yamaha Jog that was a little smaller and did not have quite enough strength.

There is really no magic to this starter business. I've used toothed belts, gears and chain to drive the crank. All work but the geared ones can be noisy. These little starter motors draw a lot of current so I like to use a scooter solenoid. Have tried big 20 amp starter buttons but prefer the solenoid route.

If one wants to make a starter I suggest getting the parts together and figuring how to make it work. The main part is the one way bearing, aka a sprang clutch, roller clutch,etc. On the Hoglet I used a shaft lock device to clamp on the crankshaft the outside of the shaft lock locks onto the 3/4 bushing the roller clutch rides on, the outside of the roller clutch is a press fit in the chain sprocket.. Every one of the four electric starters I've done are different in many respects but it's really straight forward.

I made changes to Randall's published design. Bigger crank discs, 4 1/2" vs 4". Different valve train allowing for hemispherical heads and 1/2" valves vs 3/8". Also I made two cams shafts which allowed more options re valve timing, duration, lift. In his original article Randall discussed opening the exhaust valve early to make the engine "bark". I decided to try this because most Harleys are loud. In fact, listening to one idle with a loud exhaust note, even at idle, I'm convinced that's what Harley has done to make their bikes extra loud. So I am opening the exhaust real early, while this must sacrifice some power it's only a model.

I made changes to Randall's published design. Bigger crank discs, 4 1/2" vs 4". Different valve train allowing for hemispherical heads and 1/2" valves vs 3/8". Also I made two cams shafts which allowed more options re valve timing, duration, lift. In his original article Randall discussed opening the exhaust valve early to make the engine "bark". I decided to try this because most Harleys are loud. In fact, listening to one idle with a loud exhaust note, even at idle, I'm convinced that's what Harley has done to make their bikes extra loud. So I am opening the exhaust real early, while this must sacrifice some power it's only a model.

Ahha!, I've only been thinking about an enclosed crankcase mod, but what you say here is now in my notes, love that "Harley" sound, this is awesome, Thanks John !.

Latest posts

Back