Another Hello

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DickDastardly40

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I kick around various on-line engineering communities under this nom de plume or as Engine Room Artificer. I have an interest in all things steam having served on a variety of steam ships. Thanks to TattooMike for advertising this site at HSM and PM where I am also a member. I have been lurking for a while and like what I have seen.

I am currently attempting to scratch build a triple expansion engine to a set of reeves drawings, progress is slow as I have a 9 month old nipper who is eating into what once would have been workshop time.

My machinery is a Myford Super 7 lathe with some attachments, a generic chinese drill press & bench grinder and a BCA jig borer. My workshop is my attached single garage, also housing various other junk too bulky to fit in the loft.

I'm fortunate to have some access to Harrison M300 & M350 lathe, an Ajax vertical mill and welding/Oxy A at work. Though I'm not a welder, I work with some very talented ones.

I look forward to assisting others in any problem solving as well as asking for assistance in solving mine.

Al

Hi Al,
No piping on board here, but you will get a very warm reception from everyone.
Knowledge and experience is always welcome here, and as you have most probably already seen, we are a very happy bunch of model engineers.
It's nice to have a bit of military backup from our little island, there are so few brits on here that we feel grossly outnumbered at times.
I used to love my BCA borer, but it had to go as it was a little small for some of the jobs I needed to do, but for small stuff it still can't be beaten.
You must get yourself an avatar that shows your rum, bum and baccy roots, as you can see I am an ex brylcreem boy.

Welcome

John

Hello and welcome AL,

You have a nice web site and I can see that the little one is keeping you busy.

Kenny

Welcome Al

Good to have you aboard.

Rick

Al,

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to to share experience and ideas, and the folks here are very friendly and willing to help out.

We look forward to seeing your progress with the triple expander. I feel your pain having a young one taking up all of your time (and money, too :shock: ), but hang in there. Persistence pays!

W/E

I found this site following a link from the HSM forum, and after a bit of browsing thought I might sign up.
I haven't previously had a major interest in engines, but can admire some of the work and techniques posted here.

My background is in plastics, injection moulding, toolmaking, and design, and I run my own technical moulding and product development business.
Some of the names on here I recognise from HSM, so a quick nod to those I know, and another to those that I haven't yet met.

Peter

Hello Peter,
Yes it is very engine orientated, probably why it's called HMEM :p but I am working on them.

Seriously it's a nice group and I must admit I'm very jealous of some of these engines but I know I don't have the patience.

Peter, we are glad you have joined us. Make your self at home and feel free to chime in anytime!

Thank you all for the kind welcome.
I may not be able to contribute much on the main topics, but may have an odd word of help I can chip in now and then.
I have a reasonably well equipped workshop, strictly for hobby use and playing around, and a much better equipped one at work.

Peter

howdy and welcome we all need words of wisdom and welcome them

Latest posts

Back