Bazmak diary of a 7 x 16 sieg mini lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tapered gib mod has sorted out all the problems with the carriage
but still not happy with the cross and compound slides
I had increased the no of gib adjusting screws from 3 to 5 but still could not hold a setting.Small allan key and half nuts too fiddly and constantly clashing with the saddle clamp.I milled pockets in the Gib.Drilled and c,bored the 4 M4 tapped holes.Skimmed down the head dia and chamfered the uside of the heads
of M5 capscrews.Faced the ends of the screws to length and a nice flat.
Drilled and tapped M3 down from the top for grub screws to lock on the cap head.Everything nice and clear and easy to set.Time will tell

I had approx 3 thou taper on the compound dovetail.Smooth file and emery
got this about 1 thou.I had previously increased the existing 3 no gib screws
to 4 no.So i had a total of 7 no.Milled pockets in the brass gib,skimmed 4 no M4 grubscrew to length and a nice flat face and set with hex full nuts.Fitted an M4 cap screw to the centre hole for a lock and put 2 short grub screw plugs
in the surlus 2 remaining holes.Easier to set but time will tell if the setting holds.All dovetails and brass gibs were polished,checked for fit and oiled
Next 4 way toolpost.When the weather cools down

The original 4 way has a 10.0 dia bore but spins on an M10 grubscrew
The rolled threads are about 10 thou down from nom,result is a lot of annoying
play until the turret is locked down.Made a new 10mm shaft and recessed the turret to suit.8 no cap screws were burred over and difficult to remove
Drilled and tapped,cleaned up and fitted 8 new cap screws with shouldered ends
Extended the original handle by 20mm with 16 dia aluminium and fitted washers to get the handle into a prefered location when clamped.Much improved. I had also made a QCT with a 1" post to bolt directly on the cross slide.See previous thread.I did not use it much as i missed the compound movement,but had made a no of tool holders.Made and fitted a 1" post to the compound and can just get the tooling low enough.Time will tell
I am thinking of taking 3mm off the top of the compound to give me more tool height.I have noted that it has been done elsewhere.Any comments.I am reluctant to alter the original machine too much

bazmak,

"I am thinking of taking 3mm off the top of the compound to give me more tool height."

I say go for it. I'd like to hear your experiences with the result. Parts are available from Little Machine Shop in the U.S. if you want to return your machine to stock. (I know, shipping is an issue for you.) They also sell some pre-modded parts. Also, I have seen Mini-Lathes being parted out and parts sold on ebay.

--ShopShoe

I have never used a slitting saw and its many years since i did any knurling
Now i hoped to get more use from the qctp i decided to improve the build and bought a slitting saw and knurl
I ran the s/saw thru the hacksawed split and was impressed with the ease of cutting.I also turned and knurled some adjusting screws,again happy with the result.(I remember knurling M/S was never easy)I also slightly modded each
tool holder for a specific tool.Plan to replace the studs with cap screws when
i can buy the correct size.When i have used the different tooling i will decide
if i need to skim the top of the compound slide.Also plan to make a rear toolpost for parting off,it works better at the back and i can use a larger size of parting blade.Only time will tell

Back