Another E-Z build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I stumbled on the E-Z Engine design thread and Woodknacks build thread last night. I want to express my thanks for your efforts in designing and documenting the E-Z engine build for noobs like me. :bow: :bow:
I have had a 7x14 lathe for 3 years, and just acquired an X2 mill. I am comfortable using the lathe, but have only just assembled the mill and turned it on a couple times. Haven’t even trammed it yet, and already spent $100 on ‘stuff’ to set it up. I lucked out and purchased a used machine with several accessories, like vise, belt drive, collets, and scales but no DRO.
In the E-Z design thread, you mention reamers. I don’t have any yet. What type do you recommend for a beginner? How about a ‘D type’ home made from drill rod. I do have 3/8” and ½” drill rod on hand. I have limited experience milling, though I have done some on the lathe. I chucked the mill cutter in the 3 jaw and made tool holders and parts for a ball cutter, using aluminum and mild steel.
I try for accuracy, but am mostly at the ‘good enough’ stage in machining. While I will endeavor to build the E-Z engine to plan, using the tools listed, I will take the liberty of substituting materials if needed. For example, I like woodworking also, so the base of the engine will probably be made of oak or cherry for display purposes. (I instinctively duck incoming flung objects!) ;D
Looking forward to my first engine build, with your help! :bow:

Chuck in E. TN

Welcome to the forum. I think you will have a good time with this build.

The EZ engine was designed to be built without a mill. You can use it but all cuts of metal are not mating surfaces and not that critical. Still a good chance to use the mill for light cuts and clean up.

Not having used a shop made D reamer I can't answer for that but the two reamers used are pretty common, fairly cheap and you will likely need them in the future anyway.

Substitution and making design changes are pretty common on this forum. Most of us make the engines the way we want. Wood bases work fine and have a good look also. Not many rules around here. Main points are to have fun and learn something with each project.

I have no doubt I'll learn something with this build. I've been lurking for weeks, gradually reading through all posts, even if the object is not something I want to do. I have learned a lot already.
While following the EZ design threads, when I saw the engine run, I was hooked!

Chuck in E. TN

Hi Chuck;
You should have fun with this engine. It's pretty much engineered for success, and a number of people had fingers in the pot trying to make it "new-builder-friendly".

Using D reamers will work fine for what you need here.
Not knowing what you know about them, I'll mention that you could probably even get away without hardening them, if you stick to aluminum and brass for your build. I would still harden them, if you know how. It's a straight forward process, (both making the D reamer, and hardening), but if you have questions about either, or about other things on the engine, this it the place to ask. Lots of people to help you along.

Dean

Thanks, Dean.
I think I can do both the making and the hardening.
Still waiting for some warmer weather to get back into the shop. Another snow day for school for tomorrow has been declared.

Chuck in E. TN

Back