Amsbury V8?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T70MkIII

Reaction score
Does anyone know much about the Amsbury 1/4 scale V8?

I have ordered the plans from Myhobbyshop, but can find very little about it on the internet apart from a few pictures of some nice machining work.

I guess I want to know whether anyone has built one that works, and if so, were the plans good enough as delivered and any pitfalls?

Thanks

I have these plans they were ok, but not as good as i would have liked them to be, if you want i can send them to you via email

These plans have alot of bits that need to be casted

In case you're not aware; Yahoo Groups "Min_Int_Comb_Eng" has pdf's of a 03 May 1991 Model Engineer series of articles on the build of this engine by Roy Amsbury, including drawings, in the Files section. Not sure how these drawings compare with the set you've ordered but the additional text may help with the build.
regards
Garry

Thanks very much, Gents!

gmac, I am a member of Min_Int_Comb_Eng, but must have neglected to look there for some reason - my bad. Thanks for the link; I'm going to read the article in full as soon as I have posted this.

alfrisco, an email of the plans would be great if you don't mind (raoclery(at)bigpond(dot)com) because I suspect there may be a couple of versions. A quick skim of the article gmac mentions above shows Roy saying he did not use castings, although he notes a builder could cast his own parts if so inclined. I have done a little casting in my backyard foundry, so the idea does not fill me with horror... Also, the pictures I found on the internet were of one being fully built from barstock.

Further, I am not confident Myhobbyshop will actually deliver. 10 days ago it emailed me saying there was a problem with my order but gave no other details. I replied saying I had fixed what I thought may have been the problem (I might have stuffed up the conversion rates and not transferred enough to my "internet use only" credit card to cover postage as well). I have not yet had a reply, nor a response to a later email asking if the problem was sorted :mad:

Did you get as far as building one from the plans? Do you have a build thread, pics or video anywhere?

Thanks again :)

Latest posts

Back