amazing small models

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck foster

Reaction score
i just had to post a couple of pictures of some unbelievably small/highly detailed models. ;D

some of you guys might already know of bill huxhold, he has won the sherline challenge one or two times.

these picture where taken at a small show held at the pickering museum here in southern ontario last week end.

bill is a perfectionist and a very good guy to talk to, so with no further a-due here are the pics.

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

i wish i had put something beside the engines to give you an idea of there size. :(
i'm fairly sure that the first picture of the triple expansion engines is twice the size of the actual models!!! :eek:

i think that bill uses mostly stainless steel for his models.

i hope you enjoyed that as much as i did.

chuck

I know the average grain of an Oak board.

It doesn't need anything more than that to set the scale for me!

Amazing!
OMG.gif

Rick

Bills stuff is amazing, you comment about the size of pic being twice the engine is true, most of the bolts are 1mm thread, tapped into stainless.

he's also a frequent lecturer at TSME meetings, describing how he does this stuff.

Crikey,I would have trouble seeing bolts at that size,let alone use them ;D
Utterly amazing patience.And working in stainless too!Fantastic :bow:

So'd you ask'im how long it took to build that engine?..And I dont have a feel for the scale so 'bout what length width and height would you guesstimate?

My best guess in "old money" would be 2" long and high,and a bit more in width.

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

The hose is braided air brush type line and the base is about 2inch high from the table top.
glen

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

Here is a really small operating engine and all the parts in the frame with a real penny down the bottom middle.
glen

You guys should see Bill's 1/2 scale Hardinge HLV's with turret attachments turning brass cups for the ladies. :eek:....He's a peach of a guy too.

Dave

I can't seem to find the picture of that machine which he also uses to make the parts for his engines since his jewelers lathe is to big ;D
glen

Here's a picture of Bill's model Hardinge

Huxhold3.JPG

Chuck

HOLEY-SCHMOLEY !! Those are some beautious models !! KUDO'S to Bill !!

OMG!! I think I just..... Well nevermind. Other than the speed control and lack of DRO that looks identical to one of the first lathes I ever ran. Well its smaller too. Any links to more info??
Tim

Bill's works are amazing!

Thanks for pointing them out here Chuck!

Rick

These engines are just beautiful and amazing - they are a real inspiration!

They are not just precision mechanism, they are truly works of art, of a superb level of crafstmanship.

Fantastic work!

Latest posts

Back